Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up last weekend from a friend. He has had it for 30 years, he bought it for $50 and was going to use it for a base for a sporter...luckily he never got around to doing it...

He told me about it back in early February after I checked over another one for a guy at a show (matching bnz 41..). He didn't realize 98k's were worth that much, so I told him I'd take a look at his. He brought it to the next show, and I looked it over...all matching but the floorplate and follower (which matched each other and are both E/63 marked oddly enough)..although the bayo lug was loose, but jammed forward and stuck by the band...I told him what it was, and what I thought it might be worth, and told him if he ever decided to sell it, let me know. That was that...

The next show he said, if you want it, its yours, so I told him, hell yeah, bring it next week! So last weekend he brought it in, and now its mine.

Took some work to get the bayo lug and band loose and apart (someone had the bayo lug slid forward, and the band slid back so it was wedged together). Once apart, luckily I had a spare bayo lug pin, so it was an easy fix.

Nice solid walnut stock, nice comparison to my "y" block 1937 in laminate stock...

Paul...for you...barrel code is 37 Do 194...

It is all matching except the darned floorplate and follower...no import marks, and in very nice shape...some paint speckles on the stock, which I carefully and judiciously removed. A little tiger stripe in the wood...

Here are my pics, taken in the mancave, since its WAAAAYYYYYYY too cold to go outside!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some more....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You passed up a matching BNZ41? WOW! What was the price?
Well, I didn't really pass it up, the guy who had it was fishing, it came out of PA, he had right of first refusal, another guy wanted it....but the guy I know bought it, apparently the other guy in PA said he would give him $1600 sight unseen...but like I said, he wasn't going to leave anything on the table, so I am pretty sure it ended up going to the SoS...I heard there were a couple of bnz 41's there, I would guess it was $1800 or more...

Way too rich for my blood. I was very happy to get this MO, for a whole lot less!

·
Registered
571 Posts
pzjgr, in the past on restorations I was doing where the bayonet lug pin was missing, I have used a 16 sinker. Cut it to the appropriate length, blue the edges as need be. This has worked well on dsm restorations also.
Jeff

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pzjgr, in the past on restorations I was doing where the bayonet lug pin was missing, I have used a 16 sinker. Cut it to the appropriate length, blue the edges as need be. This has worked well on dsm restorations also.
Jeff
Thanks for the tip....like I said, luckily, I did have one spare pin in my spares box, so I was covered with this one...

The question always begs though, where the hell did the original go? Why would anyone see the need to knock it out??? The weird things people did/do...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Nice rifle, I really like the earlier ones! I would guess the search for sn# 5633 WaA63 floorplate and #33 WaA63 follower will now start. The good part is there will be 1 floorplate and 100 followers with the correct numbers every complete letter block (to z-block I believe in '37). The WaA eagle/63 style proof usage may have extended beyond '37 as well increasing your chances. Long odds, but not impossible, especially on the follower.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.