Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first mauser today, it has a few things going for it, but it has some issues as well. Just wondering a general idea what it should be worth.

It is a 1936 S/42 with what appears to be a cursive L under the 1405 serial number on the left of the receiver. There is also a small weimar eagle to the left of the serial. To the right is the Mod 98 . The Breech ring has 7.90 C2 and 7,9 engraved. Between the breech ring and the rear sight, (going left to right) there is a Nazi Eagle intact with a swastika below it, the 1405 appears again with an upside down 'Do 303/38 ERMA'. There are three waffenamps here, With an Eagle and 280 underneath. On the right side of the rear sight there is two Waffenamps, both WaA63. Back down at the breech where the date is, there are 3 Waffenamps on the right side, the only legible one is WaA63, the others are just kinda worn. The matching parts with a 1405 are : the barrel, receiver, floorplate, front sight, and rear sight. I see no RC markings or import markings. Eagles and Waffenamps are intact and NOT peened.

The bad: Bubba got ahold of the stock. Its been completely replaced with a sporterized one, one of the retention nuts are missing on the floorplate, and the bolt is mismatched. The bolt handle matches the bolt itself, the bolt body and the firing pin(?) match and then the safety is its own number.

Given its situation, whats a good estimate for this rifle?

Im on the road working, so pics are not an option right now, maybe when I get back home this weekend.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Assuming the bluing hasn't been .messed with and is original you have at least 350 bucks worth of parts. Or the start of at least that much in restoration parts.

·
Registered
743 Posts
That may be a tough stock to find. Might post a "want to buy" on this trader forum and the k98 forum
jwc - A very nice Mauser project to start out with, even with the accurate caution from mwt.

I have almost completed my resto of a S/42G (1935) which required the same components as you will require for yours. Quite the scavenger hunt, which only took 2 years. All of it came from members of the forum who posted WTS ads. Parts were mismatched as far as serial #'s but the WaA's were manunfacturer and period correct. Go for it and good luck !!

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Any good links or places to find the stock/bands? Im not having much luck googling.
You can try Tommy, I think he goes by US1945, do a search for him here and on the K98k forum. He was abler to find a nice correct S/147 K stock for me, complete with correct bands. Not cheap but good quality. Or as others have suggested, post WTB here and search e-bay. The bands will not be hard, the stock much more difficult.
good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts