Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long dry spell, I have lucked into a couple nice rifles, I posted pics of a S/42G on the K98 forum. This came the same day from a friend who collects lugers and got this in a package deal. A 33 dated Banner 98 Postal rifle. The rifle is all matching and would be in very good shape if not for some corrosion on the left side of the barrel and upper band. The only thing it is missing is a numbered cleaning rod.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Hi Runner,
Congratulations on a great find! Am I seeing correctly that the sling band is the wide K98k type? Also, do DRP rifle stocks have serial numbers stamped internally as well is in the DRP cartouche? It's strange that the stock number has a "0" added between the "6" and the "2" of the rifle's number of 62081.

I purchased a nice Standardmodell stock and bands at a great show in Hartford CT yesterday which has no stock numbering anyplace on the rifle, which looks just like your stock except for the stock's side mounted sling slot and the DRP cartouche. Now to find the correct SM barreled action!
Best Regards,
John

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John, The lower band is the K98 type with the narrow and curved sling loop, as found on the very early K98k. The stock and handguard are both numbered internally and correctly. I noticed the extra "0" in the serial number in the cartouche, and almost passed on the rifle because of it, but finally decided the stock guy was just having a bad day, I think the correct numbers in the barrel channel confirm that.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
This is standard from my limited observations- throughout DRP observations-, don't know why.. perhaps ScottB or BruceK may have some insight they want to express publicly.. however of the couple dozen where one can see the receiver serial and the cartouche you will find this pattern (on the very first 98k "type", which happened to be a DRP, I ever owned back in 1984 through the half dozen or so I have seen in hand, through the files I keep on internet auctions this is standard with only one exception (1934 DRP ser. 65473) which happens to be the latest DRP on file "that shows both angles identifiably- receiver serial and cartouche”..

One very close to this one in serial range that BruceK owned (1933/642xx) has this zero addition. I have yet to find an answer suggested to this fact.

The "DR"'s don't seem to follow this pattern.

Would be interesting to see if there is a pattern to this, and ending of the use of this additional zero, or a beginning? BillG has the earliest DRP/MauserBannerK I have ever seen.. (excepting the DR's- one can assume the Standard Modells w/prefix a sequential production with the DRP marked BannerK's?

John, The lower band is the K98 type with the narrow and curved sling loop, as found on the very early K98k. The stock and handguard are both numbered internally and correctly. I noticed the extra "0" in the serial number in the cartouche, and almost passed on the rifle because of it, but finally decided the stock guy was just having a bad day, I think the correct numbers in the barrel channel confirm that.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information on the Cartouche number. I thought it was an error by the person who stamped it. I would be interested in any additional insight as to the logic behind the extra "0".

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
If it is an error he did it on every confirmable DRP/BannerK I have on file- but the last one! (naturally there are the numerous BannerK that don't show a cartouche and you can't determine what they may have been? I have owned a couple BannerK's/actions where the stock was replaced and again nothing to be gained from them on this subject)

Naturally we are dealing with maybe 30 rifles or so that i have data on, Bruce and ScottB probably have seen many times this so I can only speculate, but I think it standard.

I'm sure there is an answer but so far it has escaped me.. probably will remain a mystery until Bruce writes his book?

Thanks for the information on the Cartouche number. I thought it was an error by the person who stamped it. I would be interested in any additional insight as to the logic behind the extra "0".

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
I can answer that one!
Deutsche Reichsbahn.
I guess the guys that carried the DR's were guarding the train that the guys carrying the DRP's rode on!

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
I wonder if anyone can speak to the "real" intended use of DR and DRP's.
Mine, and most I have seen, have been close to unissued condition, which makes me doubt they saw much service on or near trains.
BBOTW talks about DRP as a "cover story" for S.A. issue rifles, which makes some sense, as political party rallys would be a less hazardous environment than bumping around in a freight car.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chasdev, very nice rifle. I see the cleaning rod is in the white. Is it numbered to the rifle?
I was under the impression that cleaning rods on Standard Modells and Banner 98's were blued. Anyone have additional information what is correct? thanks, runner

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
The rod is an "add on" I snagged on Gunbroker and is not numbered.
The rumor I heard was that they were in the white, but if they are indeed blue, I need to get mine updated!
In addition, the sling in the picture is a repro I had custom made using the original sling as a template. (The original is fragile, so I keep it stashed in a safe place.)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi
I have a DRP rifle I picked up a couple of months ago. Mine is serial 0262 which I would think would have to be one of the lowest ones around. This one is all matching and in about 95% condition. If you would like to see pics let me know and I can post them.
Thanks
David

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
Hey, MY my Mauser Banner marked muzzle cover does not have the serial number!

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Denny, yours is nicer than mine, and I don't even have a Mauser Banner Muzzle cover, so you should sell me yours. Seriously, very nice rifle. Is it all matching? Is the sling the Kar 98 type with the nine adjusting holes and open frame buckle? Any chance of getting a picture of the sling, I want to try and have one made. thanks, Good looking evil guard dog too.

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
I can send you the e-mail of the guy that made my sling...
He could not do teardrop shaped holes, instead he punched round ones with a "tail".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts