Gunboards Forums banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
54 Posts
so from what I understand the date on the top is a barrel date. The real receiver date is underneath the tang inside the stock correct?
Date on top of the barrel is when rifle was made from existing parts. Date on the receiver tang, is the date when this important and most complicated part is manufactured. Usually but not always they match.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
so from what I understand the date on the top is a barrel date. The real receiver date is underneath the tang inside the stock correct?
The barrel date indicates when the barrel was made and the arsenal where it was made. Sometimes they will have an arsenal mark on them for other depots that may have refurbished them. Somewhere on the forum or in the stickies is a list of the Soviet depots that did the refurbishments. Or basically brought Dragoon rifles to 91/30 status.

The actual date of production of Mosins, is located on the rear tang of the receiver as you have identified. What makes these "Ex-Dragoons" is because they were made with M91 style sights. Then later updated by the Soviets to 91/30 status. We can see in the picture from the book as well as the OP's pic, the gap at the base of the back of the rear sight. That indicates the change in rear sight base when the refurb process installed the flat 91/30 style rear sight. Bringing that former Dragoon pattern rifle, even if it was made in the 20s or 30s, up to 91/30 rear sight specs. Making it, an "Ex Dragoon" after refurb, and then it became a 91/30.

Maybe it's just the way we have adopted to refer to these rifles as. I also don't see any special nomenclature to identify the rifles as anything other than Dragoons for their production time after Imperial production stopped until the time which they transitioned from producing Dragoons to 91/30s. After 91/30 production started, the gap at the rear of the rear sight base disappeared and the machining or production was adapted for the new flat rear sight base graduated in meters.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts