Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Copper Bullet member
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 1930 dated 91/30 rifles, on mosin-nagant.net it says the Izhevsk production was 30000 rifles. my serial No.s are 59011 and 60551 .
Did they start the numbering that year with higher No.s then 00001 or what?
Any ideas on this?

· Registered
718 Posts
I have two 1930 dated 91/30 rifles, on mosin-nagant.net it says the Izhevsk production was 30000 rifles. my serial No.s are 59011 and 60551 .
Did they start the numbering that year with higher No.s then 00001 or what?
Any ideas on this?
I've been bouncing that ? around for awhile and someone had a pretty good answer and the last poster got the jist of it.

I have two, 30,1xx and 64,0xx. The former has a 1930 tang. The latter is a 1917 restamp 1930. So I guess you could say the may have made more bbls than recievers? Perhaps 30,000 or so barrelled receivers while the rest were put on old recievers. I'm really not sure.

· Copper Bullet member
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Whats the best way to check, by the rear sight pins or pin or screw?

Cbanker what you say makes the most sense, I will have to dig out the rifles and check the tangs.
Tom

· Copper Bullet member
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its gonna take me a couple of days to get my rifles out of storage and clean the grease off of them. Also lets me see how well LSA oil worked for the last 5 or so years as a preservative.
What about the 1930 Tulas ? Anyone got a SN. range on them?
(curious that maybe the figures of production got reversed as Tula was supposed to have made 79000 rifles that year.

· Registered
588 Posts
If anyone in Motor City wants a rather nice 1930 Izhevsk 91/30 with beautiful wood, I came across one today on a visit to a Dunhams (a refurbished one, of course, screwed in SSE's). Currently these are not on sale like they sometimes are, sorry. It is the store on John R Road just north of 13 mile. I'm up visiting from out of state, so I know already they won't sell to me, but I like to stop in when I'm in the area to burn some free time in an enjoyable way. Also, they have a 43' Izhevsk 91/30 ex PU with scope number on the barrel side that I did not think was struck out - refurbed, restamp matching numbers, half liner front, no liner rear, counterbored.

· Registered
718 Posts
If anyone in Motor City wants a rather nice 1930 Izhevsk 91/30 with beautiful wood, I came across one today on a visit to a Dunhams (a refurbished one, of course, screwed in SSE's). Currently these are not on sale like they sometimes are, sorry. It is the store on John R Road just north of 13 mile. I'm up visiting from out of state, so I know already they won't sell to me, but I like to stop in when I'm in the area to burn some free time in an enjoyable way. Also, they have a 43' Izhevsk 91/30 ex PU with scope number on the barrel side that I did not think was struck out - refurbed, restamp matching numbers, half liner front, no liner rear, counterbored.
thanks for the heads up. The last mosin I bought was from that store. Was an ex-PU Iz in a lam stock with beautiful wood. Mine has 2 sets of scope numbers, but they are only partially visible. Maybe ill go check them out today

· Admin Emeritus
19,074 Posts
Production numbers are split between the first half which is Dragoon production and the later halkf when some of the updates came into production and serialization started over again.

· Registered
718 Posts
Production numbers are split between the first half which is Dragoon production and the later halkf when some of the updates came into production and serialization started over again.
So are the dragoons made with actaul 1930 produced bbls on old recieves vs. the actual 91/30s that year had both a 1930iz bbl and reciever? And if the started sn#'s over again, would there be 1 ex dragoon sn 1000x and 1 9130 sn 1000x?

· Admin Emeritus
19,074 Posts
We don't know cbank. The first changes were in barrel bands and reare sights so it not a physical change to barrel or receiver. The change basically was to fittings then sights.

· Copper Bullet member
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all your input on this. I would think that the build was intermingled since Dragoons were made into 1932. I can't get to my rifles they are at a relatives house, to check tang date.
Makes me wonder what the total produced that year and the following years were.
I think I opened a can of worms here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.