Gunboards Forums banner

1929SA Dragoon

3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Pahtu 
#1 ·
My first MN was a 1929 Tula 91-30 updated Dragoon - I saw this one for sale & had to have it. It is a 1929 SA stamped Dragoon - The barrel is nice shiny sharp, the stock is some kind of M91 stock - Dunno if it is a cutdown M91 stock or something else made for the rifle. I had this one posted a PB's site, thought you folks might enjoying seeing pic's of this rifle as well. If you folks have Dragoon pic's or any info you want to kick in, please do so!

Pahtu.

#7 ·
What the hell is that thing its in? Is it a tool of satan? A rifle holder for pictures or a shootin stick that weighs a ton? :D

#8 ·
"What the hell is that thing its in?"

Chuckle....Out here where the West still lives, we are scroungers. I had some horseshoes left over from some projects & so I welded them together with some scrap pipe. The rifle is resting on an old leather glove I picked up laying on the ground around the place. The fingers were cut off & then straps of leather cut from the glove were superglued together to make a "cradle" for the rifle. Cheap & easy to put together, plus portable for pic's around the region =+)

No satan involved here...Brewhahahahaha!!......

Pahtu.

#16 ·
Most folks find this part of the state kind of colorless, but if you look at the right time's & actually see the beauty, it never leaves your memory.....Oh yeah, the rifles I like also....
The outdoor shots take more time and effort, but are much more rewarding that seeing the kitchen floor or the back deck of a house - I understand tho, if one were to take outdoor pic's of rifles in some areas of the country, the police would come streaming in....LOL...

Pahtu.

#18 ·
Phatu, the distance from the front swivel to the front band seems to be longer than usual. Can you compare it to a regular 91-30? The front swivel almost looks like its even distance between the front and rear bands (maybe slightly foreward of even, cant tell precisely from the photo).

If the front swivel is further back than normal, and there are no fillers in the original stock, then it must have been a stock without sling slots originally. Another way to tell the early stocks is the taper of the stock in front where it meets the handguard is such that a handguard would protrude past the top of the stock where they would meet if it had a handguard.

regards
badger

#20 ·
"Phatu, the distance from the front swivel to the front band seems to be longer than usual. Can you compare it to a regular 91-30?"

It is longer - I compared the 1929 Dragoon stock to my other M91 stocks & the sling eschuteons(sp) line up equally. I also compared the stock to my 91-30 stocked rifles - & the distance between the forward sling slot & the barrel band is less on the 91-30's.
I suspect the stock is a cut down M91 stock - The wood is Walnut & on the right side of the stock is what is left of a round stamp - I can barely make out a two headed eagle(Remington stock?) I think the resourceful Finn's made use of a spare M91 stock by cutting it down to Dragoon length & simply kept the M91 bands for the rifle. I wondered about using a M91 handguard to this rifle, but I suspect a M91 handguard would not fit & it probably never had a handguard with this stock...

Pahtu.

#22 ·
"Vic is just jealous that you came up for the idea of the gun cradle before he did. Better watch out or he will patent the idea and try to hawk the things here on the boards claiming they came from West Finland."

Hmmm....... devilishly clever idea......LOL...

Pahtu.

#26 ·
"Pahtu - I want one!"

Man, so did I, once I found out what my 1929 91-30 used to be...To my knowledge, this is the first one I have seen(Dragoon) & if were not for an online auction that nobody wanted to bid on, the ole boy would not be mine...

Pahtu.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.