Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a Remington Model 11 12 ga. auto-loading shotgun, dated 1929 according to the barrel date code. I have not shot it yet, but upon teardown and cleaning/inspection, I noticed the magazine tube is loose in the receiver and wiggles slightly.

The magazine tube threads into the receiver and has a hole that lines up with a set screw on the side of the receiver. If I remove the set screw, I can screw the magazine tube a little farther into the receiver and it tightens up, but then the hole in the magazine tube doesn't line up with the set screw. Can I drill a new hole in the magazine tube for the set screw so it lines up when the tube is completely tight? The only downside I can see is that the tube will be slightly shorter (less than 1/16") but I dont see how this will affect it since the forend will be the same length, therefore I am not affecting the travel of the recoil system or anything.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Seems reasonable and makes sense to me.

Neither dad's 11 or my A5 have this issue, BUT, it seems possible, and fixable this way.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies; I will try the loctite before drilling anything.

It almost feels like the threads are the wrong pitch since it feels loose on the receiver when screwing it in. I wonder if the previous owner replaced the original mag tube with one from a Browning A-5? Since A-5 parts are more readily available, I wouldn't be too surprised if this was the case. The A-5 was made in Belgium so it is metric; perhaps the mag tube threads are slightly different? My Model 11 is not a Sportsman (3 shot) model so I don't see any reason why the mag tube would have been replaced unless it was damaged somehow. Does anyone know if the Model 11 & A-5 mag tubes have different thread pitches on the end that screws into the receiver?

In the meantime I am trying to hunt down a replacement Model 11 mag tube, if you know of a good place to find one please let me know.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, after closer inspection of the magazine tube, I believe I have found my problem. On the receiver-end on the magazine tube, the last 2-3 rows of threads are damaged (you can see it in the pic. below). The dark hole in the pic. is where I would need to relocate the set screw hole in order to make the magazine tube tight again. I think relocating the hole would fix it, but I also think it would be wise to hold off on firing the gun until I locate a new magazine tube and avoid risking further damage to anything else.

Thanks to the board and its members for your input!

Attachments

·
Registered
952 Posts
Have you tried loading the gun with the tube screwed in to the greater depth? It seems that you should have a bit of adjustment even if it involves shortening the magazine plug for +-1/16th.

Another idea would be to use teflon tape about the threads to take up excess space where the screw threads have too much wear.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thats a good thought, I have not tried loading it with the tube screwed in tighter yet, but it is only about 1/4" of a turn so I would not expect it to affect anything. In the pic. above you can see the original set screw hole and the black dot is where the set screw lines up with the tube tight, so it is a very slight turn of the tube. If I can't locate a new tube I will probably drill the new hole and also use high temp loctite to ensure a secure fit, and then test fire it. Teflon tape is another good thought since my threads do seem excessively worn, I will look into that.

I have learned from this that when purchasing a Model 11, not only should you check the condition of the recoil pad in the receiver (a damaged or missing pad can cause a cracked bolt), but it would also be smart to check the recoil system and how the friction rings are set. Apparently many users have incorrectly set up these guns and incorrect friction ring placement can create more recoil for the shooter and more wear on the gun (especifically the bolt, recoil pad & back of the receiver). Mine was set up correctly for light loads, but upon checking this I would have noticed the loose tube and maybe could have talked my way down on price (cost of a new tube looks to be $20-$40) or possibly decide to pass. Since this involves removing the magazine cap and barrel, some dealers may not allow you to check this, but just a thought.

Either way I am happy with my new shotgun and will keep you all posted on what happens!

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
I'd try the teflon tape method first. You may not get a perfect match with a "new" mag tube as there are often poorly documented changes in these guns, besides the model change to the 11A.

Yes the recoil ring setup is often a problem. But the fiber recoil pads are often damaged or missing and the design is identical to the original Browning A5 which didn't have a recoil pad and worked fine without it. If you really want to replace the pad Roy V. Dunlap's "Gunsmithing" has directions for making a tool to rivet one in.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reference to replace the pad, luckily mine is ok right now but it wont last forever. I read somewhere that the springs in the A-5 were timed so that it did not need the pad because the bolt didnt hit the receiver (unless the friction rings were set up incorrectly), but I don't know if that's true or not.

A good friend of mine has an A-5 and its the reason I bought this gun. I think I will try the teflon tape and see if the magazine tightens up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.