Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
To the best of what I've been told the SN prefix ended during F. Take a close look and see if the R you are reading is a weak B, or perhaps related to something other than a Lithgow SN.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By golly, I think it's a weak B! Whew, I thought I had a lemon. The rear sight looks like a B for sure. It's a 1928 and all original with a beat up maple stock. It also ha the Austrian Police stamp on it. I think this is a fairly rare rifle?

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,673 Posts
HAH! I've got an Austrian No1MkIII as well. Not a Lithgow, but still. They didn't give them that many automatics it would appear!!!
Nice rifle!!!

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,803 Posts
Yes definitely no R prefix in Lithgow production. A 1928 receiver would have a B prefix. It could be a replacement action. Many 1928 actions were not assembled into rifles until 1939/40 and I've seen more than a few now that were used on English and oz rifles as replacements and serial numbered to match the rest of the rifle.

Take a photo and show us.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,803 Posts
Little tiny date stamped into the butt looks 1928/29 to me. I would have suggested that from the serial number. Many 28/29 actions were assembled in the late 30's, hence the large spread of serial numbers.
Good one mate, it's one of the rarer years.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yes, nosecap and forend matching. Yes I have a 50 yd for .22's a 100, 250 and 400 yard targets. No US import marks, no post war proofs anywhere. I purchased it from Allan's Armory some 10 years ago and he can't remember who he acquired it from, however, he thought it may have been Century back in the 90's. It also has a 3digit number on the butt stock that I would guess was some kind of Austrian Rack number of sorts.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.