Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped in at my local gun shop this afternoon about 20 minutes before closing. They have a SMLE that just came in. It is a 1927 BSA as the title says. The head space checked good, and it is in good condition, although the stock is a little dinged and dented. It has a sling on it that I didn't recognise but looked up when I got home. It looks to be an original Kerr no buckle sling for the M1903 or Thompson SMG. They want $250 for it. Is it worth putting on layaway Monday?

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,080 Posts
That does sound like a good price, provided it's in original configuration (not modified or cut down) and in decent shape.

Just how good of a deal it is will depend on a number of things, such as whether it's all matching, whether it's a military rifle or one of the interwar foreign contract or commercial rifles, and a number of other factors.

If it truly is an original Kerr sling and not a repro, that alone is worth $75-$100.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is in original configuration, not cut up or anything. I didn't get a chance to check serial numbers or other markings, as it was a few minutes to closing time and the wife was waiting in the car.
The sling didn't look like one of the modern reproductions, it shows what looks like honest wear.
I will probably go by Monday and have them put it away for me.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1917 BSA NoI MkIII*

Actually that rifle was dated 1917. I plead aging eyes and being rushed. I went back today and looked at it further. The magazine is an unnumbered replacement, but the rifle is good.
I put it on layaway.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
No need to assume that the magazine is a replacement...magazines on No1 rifles were usually unnumbered.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,930 Posts
250 is a good price for a nice MkIII rifle these days. I have a co worker who has been looking for one for a while.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.