Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Silver Bullet Member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
these uncommon rifles keep popping up all over lately. Pawn shop has one priced at 350. I have only seen one sell but it was a buy it now. I forgot to check to see if the bolt was matching. Front blade sight, correct rear sight, hardwood stock, stock looks refinished but nicely done.
Is this price in line?

· Gold Bullet member
13,517 Posts
...stock looks refinished
Run away, don't look back. Unless something is so rare that you will spend forever finding another example, don't invest your money in a piece with problems. Age and the passage of time will not cure the sins of the present and someday you will find yourself owning a rifle that you have had forever and it will still have problems. Unless you can obtain such a rifle of ill-repute at a fraction of the price of a nice example (i.e., the price of the good and marketable parts and components), pass on such examples, whether they are common or scarce unless you can happily overlook their problems.

· Gold Bullet member
2,935 Posts
I'd pay more for a 1923 Tula because it was the first year, and look for the early curved handguard rather than a straight 91/30 handguard. But with the stock refinished, not worth it.

· Silver Bullet Member
21,340 Posts
Sanded, and with Spanish type hangers, is usual for an SCW. When you said that the stock was refinished, I (and likely others) assumed that you meant it had a finish coat on it that was added here in the States. SCW Dragoons are not common at all.

For a rare year Dragoon, and not a Bubba shine job, I might be tempted. Of course, I would attempt to pick it up for under $300.

· Diamond Member with Oak Clusters and Swords
1,598 Posts
Sanded, and with Spanish type hangers, is usual for an SCW. When you said that the stock was refinished, I (and likely others) assumed that you meant it had a finish coat on it that was added here in the States. SCW Dragoons are not common at all.

For a rare year Dragoon, and not a Bubba shine job, I might be tempted. Of course, I would attempt to pick it up for under $300.
I think you guy's might be nailing it down, starting to sound a lot like my 1924 SCW that I picked up from another forum member. :)

Curious now, sure would like to see that one for comparison.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.