Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both these rifles marked 5, issued for service in Tasmania with maple stocks and matching numbers. The 22 rebarrelled in 1940. Both rifles MkIII* but interestingly the 22 fitted with cut-off plate. Thats how I found it. Bores are excellent.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Demo,
Lovely old rifles.
I've got a 1925 Lithgow bayonet stamped with 'B2208' and '5'
Obviously the bayonets were not matched up all that closely with rifles made in the same year.
(5 would be WA, is that correct?)
Cheers

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hello Bindi Bindi,
22 = 1922 (not .22)
Actually I was thinking that a bayonet made in 1925 matched up with a 1922 rifle meant the rifle sat around for a while before being matched up to a bayonet?
(I'm hoping he will offer the '22 to me;-)

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry 5 is WA not Tasmania.

I had no idea rifles and bayonets were issued with matching serial numbers.

Jack I guess we'll have to admire each others items from afar.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sorry 5 is WA not Tasmania.

I had no idea rifles and bayonets were issued with matching serial numbers.

Jack I guess we'll have to admire each others items from afar.
I think some one needs to make a move on getting B2208 back together, I know of only one other set that have come back, and I've been trying for 25 years.

Out of interest I have B6503 which is a nicely marked 9' 24 dated bayonet in my collection, only 2 off from your '23.

Bayonet dates generally follow the assembly year of their paired rifle, certainly during the big 'war years' production they do.

The one period it gets messy is in the 1922-25 period. A '25 dated bayonet, if following the trend, should have ended up with a serial of around B7500 to about B10000. By the same token bayonet serial B2208 should have been paired to an early '23 dated SMLE.

I also collect SMLE bayonets and have been recording Australian serial numbers and marking trends for years. I have details of about 450 examples I have seen from the first markings in 1913 until they ceased factory pairing in Aug 1943. To be clear, not all bayonets were serialed to a rifle, but those with a serial number on the pommel certainly where.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I also have the addiction of trying to get a bayo and rifle together.

best so far is

QP marked BSA 1912 and hooked quillion 1 number off
Lithgow 1916 2MD 21 numbers off
Lithgow 1920 5MD 5 numbers off.

One day my quest will end. Most likely when I am put in a retirement home.

For interest sake those bayonet collectors out there. Where the early hooked quillion Lithgows numbered to rifles. Reason I ask is I have seen a few unmarked 1914's floating around.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hi Playn,

I have a 1914 Lithgow bayo - hook removed and painted black (not sure if it's Suncorite or not) I can't remember whther it has a number but I'll check tonight.

Closest I've come to sequential numbers was finding a walnut buttstock with a 1916 date and a serial number which is twenty-something away from my 1915 marksman H rifle.

Raises an interesting question - how about sequential numbers, or near sequential numbers of rifles in our collections? I'm not talking about No4 Mk2s, but rifles which haven't been released in recent years. I've heard of NZ No4s which came from crates, but I wonder if anyone here has sequential or close-numbered rifes?

Cheers,
Matt

(Demo, sorry about hijacking your thread. The two rifes you've posted are rippers!)

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Raises an interesting question - how about sequential numbers, or near sequential numbers of rifles in our collections? I'm not talking about No4 Mk2s, but rifles which haven't been released in recent years. I've heard of NZ No4s which came from crates, but I wonder if anyone here has sequential or close-numbered rifes?

Cheers,
Matt

(Demo, sorry about hijacking your thread. The two rifes you've posted are rippers!)[/QUOTE]

Matt there are a few pairs of sequentially numbered rifles around. I know of a pair of 1935 lithgows, a pair of 1945 lithgows and several pairs of 1921 lithgows.

Here is mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Demo and Mike1967,
Just curious; the cut-offs fitted to your 1922 lithgows; do they have a Lithgow star stamp?
Take the mag out and you should see it underneath if stamped.
Thanks
Wotter, mine also has the star on the cut-off. I should also add it has the 5 above the serial number on the stock, Just like DEMOs. Ill try do a few pics in the next day or so.

·
2,756 Posts
My 1923 is # B6948. Got it in poor sporterised condition for $90. It has the original barrel and butt, and no post manufacture markings so it hasn't been re-furbed at all. Still need to find a more correct nosecap and rear sight protector, plus a Qld maple front handguard, but it doesn't look too bad.
Two pics below....

Playn, I've got a mild case of "matching bayonet OCD" as well. I carry a list of serial numbers with me and check every bayonet I see. Got outbid on one for my 1940 that was about fifty out a while back, but got one since only 20 out (strangely it was a post WW2 refurb but still had the serial on the pommel)
I've also stuck a pic of it's cut-off too. MA '41 marked

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.