Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have an idea of where to find a 1921 actuator? Doug Richardson is suppossed to start making some but who knows when. Numrich has a listing but has been out of stock forever. there is a guy selling new ones one gunbroker but he what stupid money for them.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,554 Posts
There was one on one of the auction sites today or yesterday. I didn't pay attention to which one.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Your options are limited.......

If you are "restoring" a Colt 21, then be prepared to pay crazy money for original parts......when/if they actually show for sale.

Just have a '28 actuator milled to '21 specs for a "shooter".....there are plenty of nice '28's floating around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Paul Krogh is the one selling them on gunbroker, and he will also convert a 28 actuator to a 21, that you provide. He told me it normally takes about a year, because he saves them up and does a large batch. If you provide your own actuator, he said he can do them for around $100 give or take. You can contact him through gunbroker or go to www.machinegunbooks.com, and he is the recommended Thompsonsmith.

Hope this helps!
Rob

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have a nice knurled 1928 acutuator that i would like to machine to 1921 specs. i have a bridgeport j-head mill. does anyone know where i can find a blueprint. i would rather have precise measurements to go by rather than just eyeballing it. or perhap someone that has a 1921 acutuator would take some measurements and post them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You could check with Doug Richardson, I believe he has all the Thompson blueprints. I'm not sure if he sells them. If you have good luck making one, let me know, I would love to have one made so I could convert my 28. If you don't have it, his website is www.thompsonsmg.com
Rob

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Doug does not list actuator prints in his catalog or on his website. is is supposed to start making new 1921 actuators soon. but he is very busy and i dont want to bother him with phone calls. he has a huge backlog from being out with his eye problems. i have some orders with him right now.
if someone can get me the specs i can convert 1928's to 1921

·
Registered
8 Posts
Actuator

I do have an original colt actuator, but I have no idea what type of measurements you need. If you will post which measurements you need, I will be glad to try and take measurements for you.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Measurements

Here are the measurements I took with my micrometer. These measurements are in inches. The only one I'm confused about on your attachment is the radius here. The spring slot radius is .75 in. The actuator thickness is .070 in. The angle for the spring slot is 90 degrees. the measurement from the bottom tip of the spring slot to the slot for the blish lock is .125 in. I hope this helps, if you need something else let me know.

Rob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Let me know how it turns out. I would love for you to convert one for me if you wouldn't mind. I have an actuator I could send you. I also understand if that's not something you want to do for others.

Good luck!
Rob

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if mine comes out good. i will do them for anyone who wants one. im going to work on it this weekend. im not sure on the hardness of the actuator so i may have to get some carbide end mills if it is too hard for HSS.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes i got one done. your measurements helped greatly. however see those marks in the spring pocket area? those are from the end mill biting in and ripping the actuator out of the vise and throwing it across the room and ruining a expensive carbide endmill. i need to find a better way to hold them for that cut. i have to put the actuator in a vertical postion for that cut and hold it with the edge of the vise by just the very thin top of the actuator.
this actuator will function just fine with those marks but it could have been alot worse. i have yet to fiqure out a good way to hold the actuator for that cut.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts