Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

As you know we (collectors / shooters of old firearms) are suckers for saving it or making it better!
LOL
I started to work on my project rifle again. It is a 1921 M-91 that was found inside a 1950 jeep that my pal bought. It was cut to fit inside a storage area, no stock.
The bolt head were missing -just the barreled action!

From what I understand, it was common practice in a combat area, to remove the bolt or bolt head so the rifle was useless.
We think some GI was going to bring it home, but he never recovered it.
I picked up a whole bolt & the other missing parts from guys in three states.

Think low cost here!

I found a take off M-44 stock & a ratty M-91/30 stock & handguard that I might cut down to make a full stock 21 inch (never was) carbine.

Back to the original story. I cleaned the bore when I got the action & thought I cleaned it well for what it was. When I picked up the action, the bore was full of grease,bugs & garbage.
WELL with the hints on barrel cleaning, I have found here. I have gone thru a black, green layer, another black layer & now am getting tons of rusty mud out of the barrel. The bore is really starting to look good!
I can see shiney lands, the grooves are still dark. The bore seems to be very tight. I hope it shoots well if & when I put it all together.

Yes, it must have cost me more in parts & TIME than a whole rifle!
BUT, It called out to ME for help!
I'm a SUCKER!

I'm going to use a front sight off a M-1 carbine ( have to build up the blade with epoxy as it is lower than the original) as it is the same size as a M-91 about .588 OD diameter. Everyone I called is out of M-38 sights. When I find a better (more original) sight base I will remove it and replace.

Best to all & Thanks,
point6

·
Registered
249 Posts
thats certainly interesting. i hope it all works out and shoots well.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
sounds like a fun project! :D Have any pics?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Make sure you take pictures as you bring this rifle back to usable condition. Give us some pictures now of what you started. Then we shall see the work in progress. It will be a real education.

Joe McD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts