Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I just did some quick research on this bayonet... seems to be worth about $100 to $200 as far as I can tell

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I just did some quick research on this bayonet... seems to be worth about $100 to $200 as far as I can tell
That’s a cool one for sure;Oz Lithgow bayonet unsure what the scabbard is yet.
Will let the more knowledgeable bayonet fellas chime in on this but thinking somewhat over $200.00 on this one.
Does the scabbard have any stamp marks,lettering etc anywhere on it,maybe the Lithgow 7 point star etc.It’s in the details for $ value.
Cheer’s

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
^^^^THIS!
OK its an Australian "Lithgow" bayonet.
Other than by time period nothing to do with the rifle.
(although if complete it would have fitted anyway.)
I'll leave this to the bayonet experts (which I am not.)

Reactions: SDigger

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Here are the pictures of the Bayonet any info would be greatly appreciated
May 1921 Lithgow (Australia) made bayonet in good original condition, scabbard looks like an earlier Lithgow as well (I think I can see a small star below the teardrop stud) . Would probably sell for US$250+ on E-bay if you allowed overseas particularly Australian buyers to bid.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That’s a cool one for sure;Oz Lithgow bayonet unsure what the scabbard is yet.
Will let the more knowledgeable bayonet fellas chime in on this but thinking somewhat over $200.00 on this one.
Does the scabbard have any stamp marks,lettering etc anywhere on it,maybe the Lithgow 7 point star etc.It’s in the details for $ value.
Cheer’s
Interesting. I just took a close look at the scabbard and there does not appear to be any markings other than the A with a star around it which is the same markings as the bayonet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
May 1921 Lithgow (Australia) made bayonet in good original condition, scabbard looks like an earlier Lithgow as well (I think I can see a small star below the teardrop stud) . Would probably sell for US$250+ on E-bay if you allowed overseas particularly Australian buyers to bid.
Wow... Crazy. So if it's from May 1921 what does the 1907 mean on it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
There are markings above the tear drop on the lip.
You're right there are... Looks like numbers. Can't really make it out.

Any recommendations on how to clean this up and maybe make some of the stuff more legible?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Disregard my last question.... I figured the 1907 part out LOL

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
ok the stamps could be something like this.
2 MD A81080
The 2 equates to which Military District ( MD) it was issued to the A 81080 is the rifle serial number. To have a bayonet and scabbard matched up today is highly unlikely or bayonet and rifle the same all three would make you the luckiest person out there. Look closely at the seam on the scabbard there will be more marks there.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Pattern of 1907, made in 1921.
Most Brit & commonwealth countries use essentially the same system.
The date it was "Type Accepted" for military service is the "Pattern"
Pat 37 Pattern accepted for use in 1937
Pat 58 replaced Pat 37 in 1958
& so on for webbing for example.

P-13 rifle Pattern of 1913 rifle
P-14 rifle replaced the Pattern 13 one year later.
for the "American Enfields"

Reactions: SDigger

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I tend to concur on the pricing, the earlier Lithgow bayonets (with the shield logo, like yours) go for a premium over most other P1907s. This, of course, is a vast generalization. But I'd say $200-250 USD.

It might actually be the most valuable piece of your collection.....

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
@bertuzzi , are you planning on keeping any of this stuff?

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Don't "improve" anything!
seriously, every little ding-dang-doodle improvement you make will drop the value, just the way Bubba turned a $650 rifle into a 150 one by making it mo' betterer!
Try lighting the surface to be photographed with glancing (low angle) diffused window light then photographing the markings or using a magnifier to read them.
dusting with a little blackboard chalk is fine too.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
A matching MD numbered scabbard and bayonet. Not all were numbered, more common before the mid 1920s. Don't use anything more abrasive than a cloth to clean it up, if there are any spots of rust soak in Kroil for a few days or a week to soften it up, often it will just wipe away......I have seen similar ones sell here (Australia) on E-bay for A$500 or more recently....

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
@bertuzzi , are you planning on keeping any of this stuff?
I don't think so. I don't have any desire for it and my dad just wants it gone and doesn't care if I sell it. If they were worth real big money I might hang on to them but based on the information here and other stuff I've researched, I'll probably sell it somewhere.

Don't "improve" anything!
seriously, every little ding-dang-doodle improvement you make will drop the value, just the way Bubba turned a $650 rifle into a 150 one by making it mo' betterer!
Try lighting the surface to be photographed with glancing (low angle) diffused window light then photographing the markings or using a magnifier to read them.
dusting with a little blackboard chalk is fine too.
Thanks for the information

A matching MD numbered scabbard and bayonet. Not all were numbered, more common before the mid 1920s. Don't use anything more abrasive than a cloth to clean it up, if there are any spots of rust soak in Kroil for a few days or a week to soften it up, often it will just wipe away......I have seen similar ones sell here (Australia) on E-bay for A$500 or more recently....
Thank you for the info, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Doogal do you have the treble . That is the first paired bayonet scabbard I have ever seen other than police issue.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Doogal do you have the treble . That is the first paired bayonet scabbard I have ever seen other than police issue.
No I don't but I have another matching set 1917 Lithgow Bayonet with Matching Scabbard | Gunboards Forums I have seen more matching pairs than I have seen 1930s bayonets......

I have noticed some care was taken to keep things neat Rifle numbers and MD numbers on Lithgow Bayonets | Gunboards Forums but I'm not sure if bayonet , scabbard and rifle were ever MD numbered to match. I think the jury is still out as to whether bayonets were ever serial number matched to rifles at the factory, with manufacturing dates all over the place.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
I don't think so. I don't have any desire for it and my dad just wants it gone and doesn't care if I sell it. If they were worth real big money I might hang on to them but based on the information here and other stuff I've researched, I'll probably sell it somewhere.

Thanks for the information

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it.
You may want to think about what you're going to do with that bayonet. Interwar bayonets have their own following, but not out in the wild. You'll get a more fair offer from the members on this board than you would on eBay.
Out in the wild most people want war dated bayonets. There are so many bayonets out there your auction might only realize a selling price hovering in the $75 to $100+ range.
You could also keep it as the hand-me-down that it is. Sentimental value aside its a nice one to start a collection with. Your bayo, your choice.

Truth be told, I wouldn't shun it if it came my way but I'm not paying the higher prices anymore. I'm not working my collection as intense as I once was.
So, if you appreciate my honesty and are seeking beer money. For $50 plus shipping I'll take you up on it! ;)

21 - 40 of 47 Posts