Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Fairly new to owning guns myself but grew up around them. My dad recently gave me 2 303 rifles. One is a 1917 and the other is a 1918. I am wondering about all the markings on the 1918. I have attached pictures of it here. I am also wondering if the serial number is 488? Is this a fairly rare gun? It's hard for me to understand the differences between them all. What is something like this valued at?

The only information my dad can tell me if he paid $20 for one and got the other one for free at some point when he was in the army. Other than that he doesn't know much about them either.

Any thoughts and information would be great.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
It was originally manufactured at Enfield in 1918 as a No.1 MkIII*, but was later reworked to a MkIII, possibly when it was rebarreled in 1938.

It was eventually sold out of service & proofed through the London Proof House, whose markings are above the serial number (which is L488). The ENGLAND stamp is a pre-1968 US import mark.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Not a rare bird.
Value on sporter Mklll’s seems lately to be determined by what substance the seller is either (smoking,snorting or shootingup)
$150.00 to $600.00 have been verified.
My best estimate is around $200.00,because it does have a C/O slot😬😉
Cheer’s.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
52,310 Posts
Not a rare bird.
Value on sporter Mklll’s seems lately to be determined by what substance the seller is either (smoking,snorting or shootingup)
My best estimate is around $200.00
Cheer’s.
Digger is correct on his estimate, $200 or so,
however we are in USA, not sure what the market is in Canada

get some oil on that rust

·
Registered
824 Posts
Ya, $200 or so for that one. They go for a little more if in really good shape or nicely done.
Do you have the magazine? That's $40 or $50 if not..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was originally manufactured at Enfield in 1918 as a No.1 MkIII*, but was later reworked to a MkIII, possibly when it was rebarreled in 1938.

It was eventually sold out of service & proofed through the London Proof House, whose markings are above the serial number (which is L488). The ENGLAND stamp is a pre-1968 US import mark.
WOW! Thanks for all that information. It's amazing to me how much you know from those markings, that's so cool Thank you very much.

Not a rare bird.
My best estimate is around $200.00,because it does have a C/O slot😬😉
Cheer’s.
Digger is correct on his estimate, $200 or so,
however we are in USA, not sure what the market is in Canada

Ya, $200 or so for that one. They go for a little more if in really good shape or nicely done.
Do you have the magazine? That's $40 or $50 if not..
Thank you all for that information. I was thinking of selling them if they were cheap, if they were rare guns I was going to hold on to them. I will see what the market is like here in Canada I know it's high for most guns with everything going on in the world but not sure if that has any affect on these.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to share, much appreciated.

·
Registered
174 Posts
A good suggestion by Lyman, and a gentle, light scrubbing by a soft brass bristled brush to remove the existing rust deposit after first application of oil followed by a dry rag and then a liberal application of oil/preservative of your choice as a finish before storage again. ;)

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
What's the story on the 1917?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Made in 1917 at Enfield, this one has had its charger bridge removed (the bit that goes around the top, over the bolt). It has a ramp added to the back of the front sight, kind of your quintessential sporter configuration. The markings are hard to make out & I can't see the barrel date, but unlike the 1918, this one is not really restoreable.

Reactions: bertuzzi

·
Copper Bullet Member
5,433 Posts
One major requirement for a sho nuff sporterized Enfield that is that the magazine is always promptly discarded. Only thing I can assume is they prefer pure single shot rifles. Any other theories out there?

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
One major requirement for a sho nuff sporterized Enfield that is that the magazine is always promptly discarded. Only thing I can assume is they prefer pure single shot rifles. Any other theories out there?
My thought is some State regulations pertaining to high capacity mags (laws etc) 10 round magazine’s are a no no,henceforth no magazine installed?

·
Copper Bullet Member
5,433 Posts
My thought is some State regulations pertaining to high capacity mags (laws etc) 10 round magazine’s are a no no,henceforth no magazine installed?
No that ain't the case here in Arkansas. We have so far left things like magazine restrictions to the more enlightened peckerwoods up Nawth. Here it is more than likely just plain old garden variety errant stupidity. I have gotten a few No 4's over the years sometimes as part payment on my fee, and every dern one was the standard sporter without the magazine.

Below is a prime example. Bubba cut the fore stock off with a hand saw, teeth marks are still evident on the barrel, hammered down the front ring, and threw away the upper handguards, and for the heck of it the front sight protector. I made an upper handguard out of a chunk of walnut firewood, installed a front sight protector, bought a magazine, re-worked the front band, and made it somewhat like the Canadian Civilian issue No 4. I call it the L12.

Attachments

Reactions: SDigger

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
They are trying to replicate the "blind magazine" look of commercial civilian rifles for pennies? Concerned about mag capacity restrictions for hunting? (NYS says you can have a 10 round magazine, but its a crime to put more than 7 boolitts in it, for example. (now overturned for terminal fruitcakeyness).
5-round mags are pricey but do add a certain "look" to a sporter.

Reactions: SDigger

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
bertuzzi
FYI your rifles would have looked (more or less, ignore the fancy rear sight its an aftermarket target type) like this originally.

Reactions: JJames

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Sorry, Digger, posted at the same time.
More likely a one stop shop for "Bubba's Emporium of Shade Tree Gunsmiffin'!
Cutting down military rifles & making them "sporty" was essentially a penny pinching endeavor. SMLES aka ShtLEs, (same thing just a different style of marking from different factories) would literally go for a few bucks ($5.00~$15.00), back when a "Deer Rifle" was $125 or so.
You cut away everything that didn't resemble "the average deer rifle" & bingo, you have "Ole Betsy fer cheep". Plus you'd dropped a few pounds off the weight.
The bayonet will no longer fit because it attached to the missing "Nose Cap", which was in turn attached to the wood at the muzzle & all of which is missing now.
BUT Fear not! The bayonet might actually be worth more than the rifle If in good condition, complete with good condition scabbard & frog, & from a "Desirable time period & maker"!
Post some pics & we can give you a better idea.

Reactions: JJames and SDigger

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry, Digger, posted at the same time.
More likely a one stop shop for "Bubba's Emporium of Shade Tree Gunsmiffin'!
Cutting down military rifles & making them "sporty" was essentially a penny pinching endeavor. SMLES aka ShtLEs, (same thing just a different style of marking from different factories) would literally go for a few bucks ($5.00~$15.00), back when a "Deer Rifle" was $125 or so.
You cut away everything that didn't resemble "the average deer rifle" & bingo, you have "Ole Betsy fer cheep". Plus you'd dropped a few pounds off the weight.
The bayonet will no longer fit because it attached to the missing "Nose Cap", which was in turn attached to the wood at the muzzle & all of which is missing now.
BUT Fear not! The bayonet might actually be worth more than the rifle If in good condition, complete with good condition scabbard & frog, & from a "Desirable time period & maker"!
Post some pics & we can give you a better idea.

View attachment 3783610
Here are the pictures of the Bayonet any info would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts