Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nearly all Remington bayonets made for the M1917 rifle in WWI, were marked "1917". However, there were about 3% marked 1918, so any of these 1918s are a rarity indeed. The other day, I looked at not one, but TWO of these rare bayonets! Nice condition, too.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
that was an interesting error they made creating these great variations , the two you show do look to be fine examples of these

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was able to come across a collection of virtually every type of M1917 bayonet. Unfortunately, finances prevented me from holding on to them and they're on the block (see the WTS forum).

·
Registered
1 Posts
bayonet 1918

Hi all, new to this site. I have a bayonet marked 1918 US 20 with a flaming bomb but it differs from the ones you show as mine has a curved blade, unfortunately it is minus a handle and bayonet boss. the ones you show have a straight blade, any ideas please, SF

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,024 Posts
Snowfalcon. The curved blade is thowing me off. Doesn't sound like a bayonet. Please send pictures. M.P.

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,024 Posts
I was able to come across a collection of virtually every type of M1917 bayonet. Unfortunately, finances prevented me from holding on to them and they're on the block (see the WTS forum).
Hello Rick. Couldn't find your listing on the trader. Did you have an LF&C, mfg. P17 bayonet? According to a WWI era ad, they made bayonets. Have yet to see one. M.P.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quite possibly a bolo not a bayonet. Need a photo to tell you about it.

LF&C went to quite a bit of expense to set up a new section of the factory to produce Model of 1917 bayonets for Ordnance. They got all the machinery, tooling and employees set up to run the prototypes by November 11, 1918, the day the war ended.

The war ended and they never made a bayonet according to their unpublished company history. I still would like to believe there are tool room copies out there somewhere. Now that I said that we will see a few within months from the many fakers out there.

All the best
Frank Trzaska

1 - 9 of 9 Posts