Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, thought I would share pics of my new Mosin that I got off Gunbroker. I didn't think I was going to get it due to the rough description that was giving but I decided to go ahead and take a chance on it.

I have been collecting Mosin's for awhile now but a Sestroryetsk has always eluded me. As you can see the bolt has been bent but I dont think this was done by bubba due to the fact that it was caked with cosmoline inside and it appears to have been done some time ago (I could be wrong).

When I received the rifle the first thing I did was check the bore and was it nasty, you could barely see any rifling and it was dark and full of grease. After about an hour of hard cleaning she looks like new with sharp rifling and a shiny bore but I then saw that it had been counterbored about a 1/4 inch down.

Next thing I tackled was the stock which seemed to have seen quite a bit of action, it was dirty and had some dings and dents thoughout. After some time I got her all cleaned up and she started to look alot better, I also took some time to clean up the receiver and trigger assembly.

After all said and done I'm glad I took a chance to add this rifle to my collection and hope maybe someday I might find another Sestroryetsk to add to the family.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
It looks like a keeper. I am sad to say though, that Bubba did bend the bolt. Or at the very least, it is not a military bent bolt.

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,991 Posts
although the bolt handle has been bent down, you may be able to straighten it. There's a guy in mississippi that hangs out on the japanese forum that has a jig he uses to straighten the handles of japanese rifles that were bent.
Bad news is that your efforts to clean the stock have probably lowered the value to a collector. The stock is not the original one, It's a two piece stock made in finland. while the original finish is gone now, you may be able to put the finn 1/3 mix on it to make it look more original. I've heard that some guys on the board here make their own, search the threads to see how if you want to.
If the bolt isn't matched, you might get another bolt body to replace the bent one. If it's matched or finn matched (last 3 or 4 numbers stamped on the bolt knob), it might be worth straightening to keep the match.
Counterbores on a finn mean nothing to me. They counterbored a lot of rifles to keep them in shootable condition and I have a lot of counterbored rifles from there that will outshoot non-counterbored rifles. Some folks think that it affects the price, but it doesn't matter to me either way.
I see it has a rear sling hanger, you can use a leather "dog collar" on the front to put a sling on or find a finn front sling hanger. either would be correct for the rifle.

y'all have a good day, Keith.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,874 Posts
Very nice; I am envious. You can have that bolt handle bent back. There is a sponsor here that specializes in it. BTW I can't tell if that is an older stepped bolt handle or the newer bolt handle (bolt body). You may want to look for an older stepped bolt handle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.