Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are probably old rehashed questions comments and rants but what do want from a low count reader .

The link to my date information . http://oldguns.net/sn_php/milmods.htm .

I have a very early model 10 in 38 S&W Special was my Grandfather's that I spent a fair amount of time learning about and reading here was helpful . It is a 1947 and as one would expect nearly pristine from its limited use as a Constable's side arm 1953-55 in Kern county CA . But that's not what I came here about .

2 yr ago I bought an excellent example of a very probably untouched 1917 . All matching parts no suggestion of a reblue or rework . The assy number stamps are identical in depth angle and strike . By the above link it dates to September 1918 being in the 106,000s . There is virtually zero wear , no slop and minimum tolerance through out .
I'm a shooter but the significance of such a specimen isn't lost on me .

The above is as it came to me I need to find a lanyard ring for it but that is all that is amiss .

Having fallen for Smith's all my life , both exwives were Smith's too ;) , I had to find another not so well cared for example for a project . It came to me finally and at a good price taking into consideration that I wasn't looking for a great example to best the current example , but rather to build a 45 Colts Double action .

After a significant amount of research I've found that the lol and chamfer mods are very common :( . The numbers don't match the barrel lacks any remains of the Government stamp possibly a commercial barrel , it lacks the SN under the ejector rod . The crane and frame assy number don't match and the cylinder number is a 40,000 while the April 1918 frame is in the 43,000s , The wood grips were awful at best and a great example of clueless rampage . It got a new Hogue mono on the way home . It also has a target sight cut in that currently hits about 3' high at 25yd all the way down , I have the means to fix that . The chambers have been chamfered , a waste of a guy is shooting fmj or RN hard cast and doesn't do a thing for an ACP designed SWC ....
If it weren't for the 4" hunting hand gun rules I could live with it simply adjusted to handle Schofield's .
Alas I need to know where to look for a bbl and possibly a cylinder . I read 3rd hand net lore that says an early N frame cylinder can be used , the scribe had it from a book that the author had done a 45 Colts using a 357 cylinder . 3rd hand net lore. I've tried most of the big name outfits without any luck . It was also suggested that all N frame barrels would thread up to the mid 70s but would need profile work and different ejector rods . That kind of defeats the purpose of the triple lock .....

Without the intent of a restoration this shouldn't be too difficult to do .......

·
Copper Bullet member
9,812 Posts
I actually like the shorty as-is. I've been looking for a ratty S&W 1917 to do just about exactly that to it. Is it .45 ACP or .45 LC?
I did a similar project with a real crappy Colt 1917, but I prefer S&W triggers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is currently ACP .

I don't think I included it but the shims in cylinder axle have also collapsed or disintegrated .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shimmed it up all's well there now .
It's tighter than it was but with just .004 in it it is now tight at the rear and doesn't lock exactly right . Meaning that the first shot needs to be manipulated to lock the cylinder release button , either by missing the stop bolt or by cheating the latch . I think just whispering stone over the breach end of the cylinder will fix that . .002 left drag on the bbl extension and .004 is tight on the breach end . Good to go now .

I went to the big Reno gun show and looked in every junk box no parts to be had so I'll have to find an old penny and build up the front sight to bring it down about 3' at 25 yd . .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.