Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this up over the weekend. It has 4 inches cut off the barrel, and the forestock cut and reshaped to look original, and it does mount a bayonet correctly. It had the black shiny paint on it like many of the 2A Enfields have, the usual 40% is already flaked off, 50% comes off with a few strokes of 0000 steel wool, and the last 10% needs to be chiseled off. So I took it out of the stock and took care of the flakey paint. Bluing is 90%. The fit and shaping of the wood is as good as the original. Second pic compares the original (top rifle) with the cut down rifle (bottom). Third pic is closeup of the cut down rifle. More than likely it was a skilled Bubba with a bad choice of paint. Or, an experiment done in India. Or, maybe it is a very rare U.S. model 1917 "Bushmaster". A dealer at the show put a muzzle gauge in it and it read a 1. I checked it with my Forster field gauge, and it barely engages the lugs on closing. Hopefully it is a good shooter. EDINOH.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,106 Posts
An unusual Bubba who would go to all the trouble to cut that down, then put it back in full military configuration. Maybe someone did it to salvage a damaged barrel??:confused:
Or maybe......yeah, that's it......the rare jungle carbine version:)
If it's accurate, it could be a nice little shooter.

·
Registered
548 Posts
These ,or something that looks the same, show up on the auction sites from time to time. FWIW, the story is that one of the bigger dealers/importers cut a bunch of 1917's, mostly Edy's ,back in the day when the long ones were harder to sell. At the right price (60% maybe ?) , I 'd almost be tempted to buy one. " What the 1917 could have been" kind of thing. OK , I have to admit I sort of like them.
Why they did it , outside of sales appeal, is a mystery to me.
To give the devil his due , at least they didn't cut them back to 18 inches and call them "Tankers". Gag...choke...
Interesting rifle. I'd like to find one.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
I saw one of those at a gunshow several years ago. The dealer (a.k.a. crook/thief) wanted $100 more for it than the other M1917s he had for sale as he claimed it was (if recall correctly?) "...very rare rifle produced in limited numbers for special assault troops of the AEF during World War I."

Yup, there's a sucker born every minute!

·
Gold Bullet Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought it might have been a semi-pro modification like the so called "tankers". 60% of the price of a real one is about what I have in it. It is a Winchester in the 90000 range. I had hoped Rick the Librarian would chime in (much like the experts on Antiques Road Show) and say "Great find Ed. There were less than 100 altered in India for the Maharajah's Royal Camel Corps. It is worth $2000. If you had not removed the funky flaky paint, it would have been worth $5000". Oh well, it is an interesting piece and different. When I take it out shooting, I will give a report. EDINOH.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
One little note here. In the summer of 2006 I was at the CMP North Store at Camp Perry, Ohio. They had a rack against the wall of M1917 rifles that must have had 50 rifles in it as they were doubled up in there. I noticed one or two were shorter than the rest. I thought for certain this was caused by someone cutting down the buttstock but I noticed all had their barrels shortened. I made a mental note of these rifles and went on my way looking at bores, getting greasy and making a general mess of things in search of MY rifles!

·
Banned
7 Posts
robertsontradingpost has one for Only $469.95. Called a 23" carbine. Its under military firearms. I've never heard of one. He has had this one for awhile.

·
Gold Bullet Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I talked to Russell Rodgers at Springfield Sporters a couple days ago about this when I put in a parts order. He, like campperrykid, remembers 30 or so years ago a company selling these as a rare or special model. He can't remember what company it was though. He and his dad never purchased any or modified any like that. EDINOH.

·
Registered
38 Posts
+1 to "A square 10"... i bet if we could get somebody from a VFW post to chime in they were shortened so that all the guys on Parade/Funeral duty at the Post would have the same length rifle and look uniform.... This would account for M J Littman seeing them at Camp Perry since they were probably VFW returns..... just a theory anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts