Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be in the wrong spot for this...
But who sells replacement wooden grips for the Colt 1917 revolver? The one I just picked up has nice fitting plastic ones on it.
Thanks!
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

· Registered
30 Posts
They show up on Ebay from time to time. Also online gun auctions will have a lot/grouping of grips (sometimes called stocks). I've been on the hunt for a pair RAC marked M1909 stocks which are even more scarce.

I believe the 1917 stocks were serialized to the gun which makes the search even more fun!

· Registered
6,082 Posts
I have a 1917 Colt that is equipped with a .45 Colt cylinder. It is the most accurate .45 revolver I own and has white repro. plastic grips. I'd like to find what used to be referred to as "Tyler T Grips" to install on the revolver. There is a wide space between the trigger loop and the grip frame. I have rather long skinny fingers and need something to take up the wide space. Would anyone know a source for such a T grip?? Thanks

· Registered
1,169 Posts
I searched for a long time to find an honest set of service grips. They’re out there, but pricey.

· Registered
5,907 Posts
Don't know if the Colt and S&W pistol grip frames are the same, but did find a set of S&W uncheckered N frame stocks with the cutout for a speed loader and they fit the S&W N frame just fine. Course they conceal all of the pistol grip frame. Maybe not what you are looking for. Frank

· Registered
3,607 Posts
As far as the grip panels for the Colt, be prepared for a lot of rooting through dingy cardboard boxes at gunshows and out of the way shops or pay the premium from online vendors that rooted them out and knew what they found.

The Tyler T-grip may still be available through the Tyler company.
As of a year or two ago I went through this process looking for a trigger shoe for my Stevens 416.
My online search eventually found the Tyler company and I noted that they do still offer the grips, although maybe not the ones you need.
Be forewarned, the current products (and prices) are not what they were but are usable.

· Registered
3,501 Posts
Don't know if the Colt and S&W pistol grip frames are the same, but did find a set of S&W uncheckered N frame stocks with the cutout for a speed loader and they fit the S&W N frame just fine. Course they conceal all of the pistol grip frame. Maybe not what you are looking for. Frank
Colt and S&W grip frames are totally different and will not interchange, not even close.

· Registered
716 Posts
buff ------- I'd like to pick up a "T Grip". How might I go about doing so?
You can get an original Tyler on Ebay. It's expensive and I'm not sure they came in large frame applications. You can get a modern Tyler T-Grip, again I don't know if the make them in large frames. There is a modern substitute for a Tyler, you can look up the website. I tried one on my Smith 1917 and the fit wasn't perfect fit.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts