Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a bit confused and in need of some information. I have a 1917 dated Lithgow made No.1 mk.lll that has a magazine cut off. The wrist has the Lithgow Shield with 7 pointed star above and "Lithgow - SHT.LE - lll" inside the shield. There is not an "*" following the model designation. Cocking knob is round, rear sight guard is lightened and front sight protectors are cut to allow adjustment. The bayonet lug has a dash of yellow paint on the bottom only. The entire stock set appears to be Queensland maple and matches in color. The tabs are present on both handguards and it has no Indian cross screw. The butt stock is marked "SLAZ 42" plus the rifle serial number lengthway behind the grip and in front of the bottom sling mount. The Right of the butt stock is marked "M.A.O." w/ "6/45" below. The overall metal finish appears to be medium olive parkerized. Now that I've described the rifle to the best of my abilities my question is... I thought Lithgow never produced the mk.lll but only the mk.lll*. :confused:I do have another near identical rifle with a 1915 produced LSA receiver that was rebuilt by Lithgow at some point so the cut off on it did not surprise me. So at what point did Lithgow cease production of the mk.lll in favor of the mk.lll*? Thank you for any assistance.

Danny

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
It's a bit tricky but from 1913 to 1916 Lithgow produced rifles were true MkIIIs with cutoff and volley sights, late 1916 to 1918 MkIII without volley sights and gradual elmination of windage adjustable rear sight, 1918 MkIII* with slot but no cutoff, 1918 to 1922 true MkIII*, 1922 to 1923 MkIII* with cutoff slot, 1924 to 1941 with cutoff fitted and from late 1941 on true MkIII*.

If your rifle had been in service and FTRd as the butt markings suggest, it would have had the cutoff removed. To help determine any FTR date, remove the rear handguard and have a look for barrel proof dates and HV SC marks.

At this point I would be sceptical as to the originality of the rifle's current state.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lithy,
Thank you for the info. Thats the most concise and informative I've received from anyone to date. I'll pull the rear hand guard and double check the barrel markings.

Danny

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.