Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a 1917 Lithgow No. 1 Mk III recently with a few missing parts. My goal is to make it as original as possible thus the request for additional input from the experts.

1) What parts would be stamped to show they were manufactured at Lithgow?
2) Are there any part types/variations that are unique to the 1917 rifle?
3) Is there a good source for parts that specialize in Lithgow manufactured parts for a 1917?
4) Any other notable comments welcome.

I am presently getting together a parts list of the missing pieces that i will update for additional comments.

Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
What parts are missing?
What is your barrel date?
Any FTR markings?

Technically however it left service is correct....

Reactions: SDigger

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are the parts I am needing to acquire (nomenclature in accordance to Parts List Schematic | Numrich ):
  1. Forend collar (Part #33)
  2. Rear site protector screw (Part #34)
  3. Rear site protector (Part #35)
  4. Rear site (do not need base but site ladder and riser) (not listed on website)
  5. band spring inner (38)
  6. band screw inner (39)
  7. Nose cap screw (front) (43)
  8. Nose cap (44)
  9. Nose cap nut (45)
  10. Nose cap screw rear (46)
  11. stackable swivel screw (47)
  12. Stacking swivel (48)
  13. Swivel band (51)
  14. front swivel (52)
  15. swivel screw x2 (53)
  16. Butt swivel base (54)
  17. Swivel base screw x2 (55)
  18. Butt stock sling swivel (56)
  19. Butt swivel screw x2 (57)
  20. Hand guard rear (67)
  21. Hand guard front (68)
  22. Cut-off screw (28)
  23. Cut-off (29)
  24. Guard screw bushing (30)
  25. Forend stud (49)
  26. Forend stud spring (50)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What parts are missing?
What is your barrel date?
Any FTR markings?

Technically however it left service is correct....
Listed parts needed below.
Barrel is dated 1915 with R ** (I believe this is what you are asking; let me know if you are looking for something differing).

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I don't think that the 15 issued barrel was an official replacement. Usually an armorer on replacing a barrel would have marked out the out serial and stamped in the new corresponding to the issued serial number (not always true of course as anything can and did happen). The * * usually denotes slight rust or cut inside barrel (usually single so not sure what 2 means). R inside a circle?.
As to your question most metal components would have had an Australian 7 point star punched into then denoting ownership. Technically, the 1917 would not have been fitted with a magazine cutoff at the time of manufacture, but it could later have underwent a conversion in the 1920's when some had the cutoffs refitted.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think that the 15 issued barrel was an official replacement. Usually an armorer on replacing a barrel would have marked out the out serial and stamped in the new corresponding to the issued serial number (not always true of course as anything can and did happen). The * * usually denotes slight rust or cut inside barrel (usually single so not sure what 2 means). R inside a circle?.
As to your question most metal components would have had an Australian 7 point star punched into then denoting ownership. Technically, the 1917 would not have been fitted with a magazine cutoff at the time of manufacture, but it could later have underwent a conversion in the 1920's when some had the cutoffs refitted.
"R" is inside circle which I take to mean to be a replacement barrel correct?
If there is a machine cut along the right side of the receiver 2.5 inches long and about an 1/8 of an inch thick (bluing is along the inside of cut as well), would this be indicative of a cutoff upgrade?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If there is a machine cut along the right side of the receiver 2.5 inches long and about an 1/8 of an inch thick (bluing is along the inside of cut as well), would this be indicative of a cutoff upgrade?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Your 1917 Lithgow would have been made with a cutoff slot, but no cutoff installed. You can see from the faint marring at the rear of the slot that it did have a cutoff fitted at some point. (But that could have even been Bubba, sometimes he likes to put cutoffs in slots just because they're there.)

Don't get too hung up on it. As BrianR notes, the barrel is a mismatch.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,558 Posts
A 1917 would most likely have had a cut off installed from new unless its an action assembled later and therefore would have a higher serial number.
Not so sure the comments about the mismatched barrel. Seen way too many very early unmolested examples come from government stores with earlier mismatched barrels. I’d keep an open mind on that one.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Agree with Demo. Magazine cut-offs on Lithgows were installed up until early 1918 when the slot was milled but the cut-off not installed for the MkIII* variant.

The cut-off slot was certainly not provided for by 1919, but reintroduced from around 1923 to 1941 when the MkIII made a come back.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Apex;Colorado Springs would be a good starting place for the Star thru feeder factory’s BA,FA,WA,OA & MA etc stamp part’s.
Cheer’s.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all, I am very grateful for your input as I am starting to dial in a plan of attack. Out of the parts noted, which would be stamped to a Lithgow feeder factory and with the ones not stamped, would you guys recommend just finding parts that have been finished in Suncolite? I believe that Ishapore and Lithgow finished in Suncolite correct?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thank you all, I am very grateful for your input as I am starting to dial in a plan of attack. Out of the parts noted, which would be stamped to a Lithgow feeder factory and with the ones not stamped, would you guys recommend just finding parts that have been finished in Suncolite? I believe that Ishapore and Lithgow finished in Suncolite correct?
If you wanted to restore your 1917 parts from WW1 era parts, they would all have been manufactured at the Lithgow factory. Metal parts were blued. Lithgow factory parts from this era were stamped with a small 6 pointed star with a capital A within.

Most parts from the WW2 era were parkerized after late 1941 and were stamped with the feeder factory of origin.

·
Registered
395 Posts
No Hinmaton71, Lithgow SAF never finished SMLE rifles with Suncorite. Up until late 1941 rifles were browned, then parkerised after that date. Suncorite was applied to No.4 rifles by the British. The Indians applied to their SMLEs a black liquid, something they called "paint", that I wouldn't put on a stockyard fence post.

Here is how early Lithgow made parts were stamped, with a SEVEN pointed star with an upper case A within:

These photos are of my June 1917 (6/17) production Lithgow SMLE MkIII. Even the sling swivels and piling swivel on the rifle have the star stamp. The only part not carrying that stamp is the bolt head that is stamped BA M.

Magazine cut-off

Rear SIGHT protector

Brass stock disc

The same stamp was applied to Lithgow made bayonets, like my 1915 hooked quillon/quillion:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts