Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After stripping my new Remington 1917 I noticed a very small, faint "TSA GAI AV, VA" import mark under the barrel just behind the front sight. I'm familiar with alot of countries that received 1917s such as Denmark, Canada, England...I'm also familiar with markings that are commonly found on rifles sent to these countries (country specific acceptance markings, serialed bolts, etc), however on this 1917 there is nothing.

The rifle is non-rearsenaled, all Remington, in an original eagle's head stamped stock.

The only markings that I did notice were on the underside of the receiver where the barrel joins...it's a crescent moon...did we send these to the Turks?!?! I've never heard of that before. I've attached a pic of the crescent moon and the other markings found at the end of the barrel...aorry if the pics aren't the best but I'm not too great with a camera! Any ideas on where this came from??

IMG_4614.JPG IMG_4615.JPG

Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I believe the little half moon you are seeing is a sub-inspector mark, the other marks are hard to read
from everything I have seen as far as the Turks marking the weapons they use it is done on the face of
the reciever where it can be seen not hidden under the wood, also they tend to remark the rear sight with
their numbering system so your 17 probably didn't end up in Turkey....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts