Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a whim (cause I don't know squat about Carcanos), a couple years ago I bought a nice little Calvary Carbine made in 1917. All the numbers on it match but I didn't realize that the bayonet lever was broken. I've about given up finding one because a replacement costs about as much as I paid for the rifle.

But since I don't plan to charge any pigs and skewer them, I'm over that issue. The real problem is that it shoots about 3 feet high at 60 yards. Has anyone figured out how to get the POI closer to the POA? I doubt it has any collectors value but it's in really great shape (except for the broken lever) so I don't want to bubba it up. At the same time, I'd like to hunt with it. As near as I can tell, with the rear sight all the way down the zero is somewhere over the curvature of the Earth.

Thanks for any helpful hints.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
i read that italian marksmanship rules placed the front sight blade at the bottom of the rear sight leaf, not level with the top edge as in other alignments. that may help. otherwise, a taller front sight blad should work.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well, your problem is either a "find the correct part" problem or a gunsmithing problem. I have one of these moschettos myself, and they are a neat little rifle that would lend itself very well to hunting. There used to be a lot of them floating around, and the part you need should surface eventually if you continue to search. That would let you restore the rifle to original, which is a desirable outcome. But, on the other hand, if you wish to use it for hunting, and like you said the bayonet isn't really necessary for that purpose, then it becomes a matter of a suitable front sight. That is dependent on your personal skills or how much you wish to pay a gunsmith. I dabbled in that art for about 35 years and if the problem was presented to me I think that I would utilize the existing sleeve on top of the bayonet's hinge. I would cut it off lengthwise. Next I would file off the existing sight blade flush with it's base, then slide the sleeve back over the barrel, secure the sleeve with the existing cross hole, and use the ears on top of the sleeve to install a tall blade. The blade could be affixed between the ears with it's base sitting flat on the surface where the original bade had been. I would probably solder it in place, but JB Weld would work. Then I'd take it to the range and alternately shoot and file until the blade was the correct height. That's only one way to go about it. If you're reluctant to alter the original part, then perhaps a tall commercial front sight ramp like those made by Williams could be obtained from the G.P. Corp. and made to work. You could start at the rear of the ramp and slot it to the correct width to slide over the existing sight. Slot it for about 2/3rds of its length then slide it back over the existing sight and utilize the existing hole in the sight to secure the ramp. Again, maybe a little adhesive. The dovetail in the commercial ramp would be just forward of the existing sight blade and you could then install the appropriate height sight blade in the ramp.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
You could just deepen the V notch on the rear sight and use the Italian sight picture. That would be minimal alteration to your carbine. HTH

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Der Gebirgsjagr. That's a lot of good info to chew on. I want to restore it to the bayonet lever and if I can't find one, I'm pretty sure I can have a piece welded onto the stub and finish it to look good. The converted bayonet lugs (pushbutton) aren't that hard to find. I may pick one up and modify it to accept a Mauser front sight that would sit in front of the original sight. Once I get the original lug fixed it will only take a minute to convert it from a shooter to a collector. Thanks again!

·
Diamnd Bullet member
410 Posts
Thanks Der Gebirgsjagr. That's a lot of good info to chew on. I want to restore it to the bayonet lever and if I can't find one, I'm pretty sure I can have a piece welded onto the stub and finish it to look good. The converted bayonet lugs (pushbutton) aren't that hard to find. I may pick one up and modify it to accept a Mauser front sight that would sit in front of the original sight. Once I get the original lug fixed it will only take a minute to convert it from a shooter to a collector. Thanks again!
Primitivehunter, check out this thread for for the bayonet lever http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?336481-bayonet

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,754 Posts
A piece of electrical tape, a toothpick and a black Sharpie will solver your problem with the front sight blade. Been there, done that and it works fine.

JPS

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
airdale,
Thanks a ton for posting that old thread. I contacted him, he has a lever, and arrangements have been made. I've also come up plans for an interchangeable sleeve to replace the bayonet lug so I can mount a mauser sight on it. It may take a while but I'll post a pic when it's done. I know there are easier solutions but what's the fun in that? :)

·
Diamnd Bullet member
410 Posts
airdale,
Thanks a ton for posting that old thread. I contacted him, he has a lever, and arrangements have been made. I've also come up plans for an interchangeable sleeve to replace the bayonet lug so I can mount a mauser sight on it. It may take a while but I'll post a pic when it's done. I know there are easier solutions but what's the fun in that? :)

I am glad things worked out for you. This forum is all about helping each other.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I want to say a big THANKS! to Riceone. When I asked him to send me the lever, that's what I expected to get...a lever that I would have to line up and attach to the old pin. And at a price I was happy to pay. I was pretty much stunned when I received it yesterday and found that it was the entire assembly! More than I ever hoped for. Thanks again!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's taken a good while to get the bayonet all fixed up. I came up with an idea for a hunting sight that slips on as a replacement for the bayonet lug. I gave the lug to a friend who had a friend who would build the base for me. Obviously, they weren't in as big a hurry as I was. I have the base now and am headed to a gun parts place tomorrow to find a Mauser base and sight to complete it. Anyway, here's a pic of the finished bayonet lug with the new lever. The white stuff is some lithium grease I put on it before assembly. Sorry about double pics. My iPad hates me.

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I imagine everyone is pretty tired of seeing pics but rest easy, this is the end. A friend made the barrel sleeve part of it for me. I went to a gun parts store that advertises over 1,000,000 parts in stock and he isn't kidding. I've never left without what I was looking for and have never seen anyone else do so. I bought a sight soldered to a barrel band for $5. I cut the barrel band off, cut the sight block to length, filed everything smooth, sanded, blued, and epoxied the sight block onto the base. If it turns out that epoxy doesn't hold, at least it will be apart so I can do it another way. The sight blade is as high as it can go and still work shouldering the rifle comfortably. For $5, I'm pretty happy with it. Of course I haven't shot it yet either. Sorry about the out of focus pic but you get the idea.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts