Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
If the rifle is in good condition, it'll shoot as good as you can shoot.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Always a top performer at Camp Perry in the Classic Military match.

Condition of the rifle is extremely important. With lousy ammo or shooter - wont do much either.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,513 Posts
Was wondering how the 1917 does in the accuracy department? What can I expect at 100 .
Chuck
Iron sights, average shooter, and run of the mill service ammo, three or four inch groups. Better than average shooter, match ammo or handloads, tighter groups. Maybe 2 inch. MOA, not impossible, but all the stars have to fall into alignment just right. That's honestly (at least, in my opinion) better shooting than most shooter/rifle/ammo combinations can really count on.

Conventional wisdom has long stated that the 1917 isn't quite as accurate as the '03 Springfield. That may even be true, based solely on the stats. But most shooters I've seen, myself included, do just as well with the '17 as with an '03, or better. And most definately better, with my eyes due to turn 60 in July!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
My Eddy will shoot 2 inch at 100 yards with 168 grain Remington hand loads.With M2 ball its all over the place!They say some 17"s are over .308 so I can see why a longer bullet might stablize better.More bullet in the rifling.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
AS long as you have a decent bore and muzzle crown then there should be high accuracy with these, though I owned one with a two groove barrel once, it wasn't giving me good accuracy with korean surplus ball nor precision handloads of the 150 gr variety, or at least the stuff I had at the time.

I personally just "saved" a very excellent bore and muzzle crowned Remington 1917 that was being stored dry with dirt all over it but with dried oil/grease on most metal and bore, with 10-17 dated barrel, for $425, needing a preplacement ejector assembly, paid that amount only due to the hard to get excellent bore and muzzle, since I've seen too many with well used/abused bores.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine shoots really well. My best group was .75" at 100 yards after load development. I was using Hornady 150gr SSTs and IMR 4064. That is when I mounted a scope with my own homemade scope mount.

It didn't work all that well. :p

Here is a group using Winchester ammo that I don't remember weights and whatnot.

·
Registered
373 Posts
As noted above - all things considered they can be very accurate. I won our club's Memorial Day "Great War Bolt Rifle" match last year with this target. Ten shots in two minutes or less (100 yards) with one of my Eddystones (6" diameter black). 13grns of Red Dot behind a 150gn BT Sptzr. Sights were set high of course, but it's a go-to load for me that always works and is easy on the shoulder in matches like this.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts