Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 1916 Spanish mauser recently. It was in rough shape but I got it all cleaned up and it pretty again. One question I have. With the bolt closed and locked, there is still a little wiggle in it. Is this normal? Is it safe to shoot?

·
Administrator
10,012 Posts
With the bolt locked on an EMPTY Chamber there will always be a slight " wiggle".
Once a correct cartridge is chambered it should hĺave NO
wiggle....if there is it is a sign of a Headspace Problem which may be due to bolt lug wear or to undersized cartridges.

Remember that all mechanical relationships in guns are subject to Tolerances on interchangeable parts, be they Bolt , Receiver Body or Cartridges.

Doc AV

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
You need to determine what caliber it is and what cartridge it takes. These were originally made in 7x57mm but the Spanish converted many of these to 7.62 CETME. Get a chamber cast done and measure it for safety.
Regards
Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I picked up a 1916 Spanish mauser recently. It was in rough shape but I got it all cleaned up and it pretty again. One question I have. With the bolt closed and locked, there is still a little wiggle in it. Is this normal? Is it safe to shoot?
Thanks for the info guys, very helpful. Barrel still has crest and has 7mm stamped on the side. I put an empty 7mm cartridge in and closed it and still a little wobble.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
That's not a sure way to check the caliber. Chamber cast & mic the bore. If it is 7mm and you have wobble with a fired case you need to take it to a gunsmith and have the locking recesses in the receiver checked for wear and set back. Spanish made small ring Mausers are susceptible to that.
Dan

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It was not in 7.62 CETME as that was a 7.62x40mm case . If a 7x57mm chambers there is no way it is chambered in 7.62x51mm . Spain just used a different loading for their CETME rifles .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's not a sure way to check the caliber. Chamber cast & mic the bore. If it is 7mm and you have wobble with a fired case you need to take it to a gunsmith and have the locking recesses in the receiver checked for wear and set back. Spanish made small ring Mausers are susceptible to that.
Dan
Yeah, I'll take it to my gunsmith just to be safe. Thanks

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
It was not in 7.62 CETME as that was a 7.62x40mm case . If a 7x57mm chambers there is no way it is chambered in 7.62x51mm . Spain just used a different loading for their CETME rifles .
I posted that before he told us what caliber it was marked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts