Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given this, what appears to be, 1916 spanish barreled receiver and stripped bolt. The receiver has been scrubbed except for the Loewe manufacture and stamped with #33 on the left side of the receiver. It's been ported and thumb notched. Problem is, before I can go fourth with the build, it has a round receiver. Now, DWM used round receivers on their Spanish models, but that was after they changed their name from Ludwig Loewe and Co. What is this? I'm lost and can't find any wisdom anywhere.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
547 Posts
The "turn down" on that bolt looks like it was done by an owner of the rifle...not arsenal correct.

Like it was done for a scope. Need more pictures, barrel length...etc...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
"Problem is, before I can go fourth with the build, it has a round receiver."

What do you mean by round? All of the M1893 pattern receivers I have ever seen were round.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The "turn down" on that bolt looks like it was done by an owner of the rifle...not arsenal correct.

Like it was done for a scope. Need more pictures, barrel length...etc...
It's got a 21" barrel, but it's already been turned. The barrel is numbered F9602

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Problem is, before I can go fourth with the build, it has a round receiver."

What do you mean by round? All of the M1893 pattern receivers I have ever seen were round.
I got a head of myself... IE fingers running faster than my head. It has a round bolt face instead of a flat bolt face.

·
Registered
547 Posts
If it's a Spanish Mauser...it's a small ring action and it should be chambered for 7mm.

If you could establish some facts as "knowns" then your way would be clearer.

Looks like a project that stalled out...maybe too much to bring it back??

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Your mileage may vary; but I don’t see any good reason to dump hundreds of dollars of good parts into a stripped out sported rifle. My gut feeling is that the person who had it before you took off everything of value and ditched the rest.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I got a head of myself... IE fingers running faster than my head. It has a round bolt face instead of a flat bolt face.
OK, sounds like it has a 1895 Chilean style bolt in it. Round bolt face, no guide rib. It will work fine. I prefer using the original bolt because the the square lugs on the bolt face act as safety lugs if the mains let go. When turned into battery the lugs are in the left raceway. They would jam into the raceway and guide rib in a dual lug failure, preventing the bolt from coming back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it's a Spanish Mauser...it's a small ring action and it should be chambered for 7mm.

If you could establish some facts as "knowns" then your way would be clearer.

Looks like a project that stalled out...maybe too much to bring it back??
I just had the chamber cast. It is a 7x57, the barrel has been turned and the bayonet lug removed and is 21" with a 1/10 twist rate. The receiver is 8 1/2" long with the bolt hole spread at 7.625. It has a pretty clean, shiny bore with no frosting or pitting and pretty strong squared edges on the rifling. These are the knowns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just had the chamber cast. It is a 7x57, the barrel has been turned and the bayonet lug removed and is 21" with a 1/10 twist rate. The receiver is 8 1/2" long with the bolt hole spread at 7.625. It has a pretty clean, shiny bore with no frosting or pitting and pretty strong squared edges on the rifling. These are the knowns.
Yes, it is a small ring action.

·
Registered
547 Posts
So...what do you want to do??

Fact finding and and some evaluation is your best initial phase.

Try pricing out what you'll need ...I think you'll find a full restoration to be a prodigious "money pit". But some people forge ahead and enjoy the ride.

With the bolt and the barrel the way they are...the best you can do is get a decent sporter out of it. The 21 inch barrel is a little too short to get really good ballistics out of the 7 x 57 but not as bad as the really short, saddle ring, carbines (I have one of those).

You might consider a really hardcore examination of the bore of this rifle...why go to hell and back if the tube is marginal from the outset?

Sadly, there will be no investment potential attending this project so a nice "truck gun" is probably all that you can realize.

Have a look at this as you may be spending close to this amount of money...

MAUSER 1908 (BRAZILIAN) - Z42916 - Simpson Ltd

If you could get something like this for $450.00 (they are out there) I would advise you to head that way.

Good luck and have fun, Tim.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you’re looking for a cheap hunting rifle, there are better options.

If you’re looking to restore this rifle to its original grandeur and make it a collectible, there are better options.

But if you’re looking to add on to these pieces and create a one-of-a-kind custom rifle, and you like to work on project guns, I say go for it. The 7x57 is a fantastic hunting round. You can still find sporter stocks, and you can still find firing pins, springs, safeties, sights, etc. for old Mausers. Most people don’t do projects like this any more, but if you take your time and do it right, you can end up with something like a poor man’s .275 Rigby. Or a truck gun. Either way, it will be all yours.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
That is perfect for a sporter. If the barrel has been turned and bolt bent with a nice bolt handle job that is the way to go. You just need to acquire the rest of the bolt and bottom metal. Shouldn't be too expensive. You can get 99% inlet stocks from Richard's Microfit or Boyds. With that 1-10 twist it will be great for 140 grain bullets at around 2,800 FPS. Adequate for most NA game.

Parts:

Spanish-Chilean - Liberty Tree Collectors

1 - 17 of 17 Posts