Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up another one in trade and am just now getting around to taking it apart and looking at it. seems like a common year, since I seem to run into these quite often.

On my others, the year is inside the tang as normal. On this one, it is unmarked. Also on my others whether Finned, Russian, Captured, or Balkan, the outside of the tangs are unmarked. below are pictures of the markings on this one. Is this just normal or is the receiver from a different rifle? Tang mark looks like an M then an arrow facing right, and an upside down 1 with its base touching the M.

Edited to add this: There is no mark on the top flat of the receiver.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Martin. I suspected as much. After I posted I found a similar receiver on one of my M28s. It is the same - an NEW. At least they used a WWI receiver and barrel.

I should have looked at all of them before posting.

I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
This was my old rifle I traded to a member on here. It looks like it has a different stock on it now. Glad to know she's doing well and in a good home! :) I'd love to see more pictures of her!

I could never figure out what the X meant on the barrel either though. Hopefully someone will chime in about it.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I got it for the stock. I knew the stock had been replaced and where. Like you I had been looking for the proper stock for one of mine and the stock on this one fit the bill. It is now going into a stock that fits it better and matches its patina. and wear. It worked out fine as I knew it would. If I hadn't had that spare stock, my first thought was to part it out. I am pretty sure that has been done to it already. But now it's safe.

What was it sitting in when you had it?

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Makes it easier to not get fooled. Lol, I should act surprised in this thread - but there is a good search feature here. You'd be surprised at some of the descriptions of these things! I just act dumb when I buy or trade for them. Mostly because I am, but partly because I know what I want.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts
Doby, MOST of my Mosins have been purchased from "well seasoned" Mosin collectors here on GunBoards...you chose wisely by doing the same! :thumbsup: Plus, your collection is becoming more significant as a direct result!!

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have pretty much learned who to watch out for. I am by no means sophisticated with Mosins ... yet. I figure I will be comfortable with them after 5 to 10 years! Until then, I'll rely on people I can trust for "real" Mosin and try to take advantage of people I don't. Just like any endeavor. So far so good.

I am a realist enough to know that many of the Mosins I have did not come from Finland the way they are. Importers have messed with them. Previous owners have messed with them. As far as being a Purist, I figure if I put a gun right and get it as close as I can to the way it was when it left Finland, then I am doing the gun a service. I respect them too much to ignore Bubba's work, and I have been at this long enough to know when parts were recently swapped. Heck I go so far as to order parts I need from a trusted source in Finland. Probably I am not as obsessive as many of you are, but I am getting there. Proudly. The more rifles I have gotten, the more mistakes I see from when I first started to acquire them. I was acquiring them, not truly collecting them. That is changing. I expected that, and believe I even wrote that here sometime in the first couple of weeks of my obsession.

I'll post a photo or two when I finish restoring this particular historical rifle. I like it very much. The previous swapping of parts has allowed me to finish restoring two other rifles, so this old warhorse deserves to be put back the way it should have been. Not with an unissued NOS parts stock and a bunch of shiny brand new internals. I would do it a disservice to do anything else to it. In my frustration yesterday I seriously thought about just parting it out. I would make a tidy profit on it that way. But no. That would be unfair to this rifle. And to its history.

So once again I thank all of you for the information and help. I am in your debt.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Doby it was sitting in a heavily sanded M91 stock which was really upsetting. The stock actually sold on eBay by the member I traded the rifle too I believe. The stock from what I saw was 1898r dated too. :(

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol, it's in a much better one now that matches its condition, age, and history. I'll photograph it tonight and send you some pics. The stories we get sometimes...ah well. This worked out just fine anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.