Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another auction and sight unseen again. Sometimes I think I push my luck!!!
What do I have?
What is it really worth?
All comments are welcome.
Numbers match, except floor plate. No tang date. Buttplate rusty, bore dark but good, great rifling, need to put some rounds through it.
Looks like it was on a beach or in the corner of a sandblasting shop but cleaned up really nice after 3.5 hours. Had to take it completly apart!!!

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Nice rifle, PTG(Peter the great) M91's have eluded me over the years.

Price? I would not let any of my Russian M1891 rifles go for less than 400.00 in todays market. The sand is a common thing found in Finn rifles. Must be some sandy soils in that region of the world.

I have found leaves and bugs as well(Mold of all things too...)

Pahtu.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice rifle, PTG(Peter the great) M91's have eluded me over the years.

Price? I would not let any of my Russian M1891 rifles go for less than 400.00 in todays market. The sand is a common thing found in Finn rifles. Must be some sandy soils in that region of the world.

I have found leaves and bugs as well(Mold of all things too...)

Pahtu.
Thanks Pahtu, I got it for $193 to the door. I am really liking the patina look and the m91 length rifles, finned or not! I really had no Idea of the value (newbie) But have lost to three other auction buyers over the past months on a PTG, But I think I waited long enough to get the one that just found me. I love the look! Questions on Finnish traits, there are no finn markings though!

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Thanks Pahtu, I got it for $193 to the door. I am really liking the patina look and the m91 length rifles, finned or not! I really had no Idea of the value (newbie) But have lost to three other auction buyers over the past months on a PTG, But I think I waited long enough to get the one that just found me. I love the look! Questions on Finnish traits, there are no finn markings though!
The sling hangers, the rear sight graduations struck out are Finn traits. IMO, 193.00 to your door was a bargain! Members here consistantly outbid me, but I am thrifty and seek out bargains. The M91's are some of my favorites.

Pahtu.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
M91s are some of my favorites too! Nice PTG there, for sure! Nice to see that large eagle in tact! Nice Finn capture. Looks like it's on a Westinghouse receiver. Great price. Room to make money on it if you ever sell it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The sling hangers, the rear sight graduations struck out are Finn traits. IMO, 193.00 to your door was a bargain! Members here consistantly outbid me, but I am thrifty and seek out bargains. The M91's are some of my favorites.

Pahtu.
I try to be thrifty.. Always hoping to find a gem that's mislabeled or flys under the radar.. It's becoming increasingly hard to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Silver Bullet member
2,127 Posts
I have a couple PTG model 91's that I have accumulated over the years. One is a 1915 that went from Russia to some unknown country to Serbia and finally to the Finns. My first one I bought off the guntrader from a fellow in the great state of Missouri because I was in need of a model 91 stock. He declared that the rifle and bore was in fair condition, as was the stock. I bought it for the staggeringly expensive sum of $50.00. The rifle arrived, and well I was still in need of a model 91 stock. It had a great bore, many matching numbers and is a great shooter. It was one of the probably Balkin imports that AIM was selling for gasp $60.00. Dated 1917, oftimes when I shoot it I put on my reproduction red army hat and just think what the 'office' politics must have been like in Tula factory that year of the Bolshivik Revolution!
gil

·
Gold Bullet member
1,542 Posts
Great catch! I too really appreciate the PTG Tula M91's. From my perspective, the matching bolt (font appears same as recvr) is a big deal. I don't see as many matched bolt bodies (not the Finn matched knob) on M91's. Also, the 1904 dated stock with remnants of the cartouche are pluses.

It's also a lot of fun when they show up with debris under the wood line. I once took apart a Finned M91 and found pine needles and dirt under the buttplate. I left it all there as I figured its part of the rifle now!

T

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.