Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really did not have a nice one with a Hauges Diopter sight, so that is my excuse for buying this one, (and I am sticking to it.)

I found this 1916 Carl Gustafs m/96 with a very nice Elm stock and a shiny bore, so my bank account took another dive of $325 on it's way toward Zero.;)

I have about eight FSR rifles that I have bought since the Geese left last fall, and I have not had a chance to fire them yet. But, the Geese are back, the sun is getting warmer each day, my 400 yard range, (a cow pasture a mile south of town with some dug-out banks for a backstop,) is drying out, and if the wind goes down so that it is not blowing unwary Tourists down the main street, I just might get a chance to go play a bit.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buffdog...again? :thumbsup: Since when do you need an excuse? Any chance you show a close up picture of the Hauges Diopter and let us know if you like it?
I will take a few pix later when on my "range." One of the reasons I wanted the Hauges Diopter is that I have read that they were considered one of the best by the Swedish shooters, so I wanted one to look at and try out. The only negative seems to be that a bit of wood had to be removed from the right side of the stock to accommodate the elevation slide of the sight. One of the big positives is that the sight can be easily removed from the rifle and just as easily replaced. Apparently some of the older Swedish shooters preferred or were compelled to use open sights for Field Shooting, so the easy removal of a Diopter sight would have been an advantage when switching to Bullseye target shooting on the known distance ranges.

I have about 600 rounds of 6.5x55 accuracy loads that I have loaded over the Winter so will try to get a shooting session in soon.

·
Diamond Member
517 Posts
Nice rifle, buffdog!

It doesn't get any better than having some new rifles to run through their paces and a lot of ammo ready to go.

That would make me a very happy rifleman.

That is a beautiful rifle!

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,913 Posts
I truly like Elm stocks on any rifle. I just bought a 1916 CG M96, all matching numbers except for the cleaning rod.
But it was the Elm that made me do it. I see few Elm ones around. Is Elm less common than other stocks on an
M96? Just don't see Elm around.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,684 Posts
Elm was only used in the WW1 time frame . Ususlly seen on 1915 , 1916 & 1917 dated M96's & M94's . Maybe a few in 1918 ? You might see a replacement Elm stock on earlier rifles .

I do not see many Swedish Mausers of any kind locally anymore !!!!!!!

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,913 Posts
Elm was only used in the WW1 time frame . Ususlly seen on 1915 , 1916 & 1917 dated M96's & M94's . Maybe a few in 1918 ? You might see a replacement Elm stock on earlier rifles .

I do not see many Swedish Mausers of any kind locally anymore !!!!!!!
There seem to be none locally here either. The QC is about a 400,000 population center and no Swedes. Except, when the last gun show came to town. I bought my 1916 from up in Wisconsin and it will probably be Sat. or Mon. before it gets here.
Now I understand why I see practically no rifles with an Elm Stock. This one coming and the one by the OP are the only two I have seen to date. I hope it looks just as nice as the one buffdog posted here. Pics look like it does. See when it gets here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You guys are no help. ;-). I'll have to find an Elm Swede at some point. I did happen to receive a 1899 Oberndorf yesterday. German walnut stock original to the receiver and bolt. Most of the other numbers are a mismatch but good, solid rifle. Should be a pretty one. I'll post pics when I'm a little father along in the clean-up process. Love these old rifles.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just missed this one this week, at an auction. I was at work so could not track the live bidding. It went over my proxy bid, but not by much. By photos and auction information it was a nice gun. Hopefully some one on the board got it. All matching except magazine plate, Elit sights. Gun auction was in Pennsylvania. HaH! but I got the bubba'd m38 Husky, more on that when I see it.

Estimated Price:$200 - $400 Realized Price:$475

Swedish M1896 military target bolt action rifle. Cal. 6.5 x 55 mm. 29.1" bbl. SN 97994. Blued finish on metal, cleaning rod, Elit matched sights, full length military stock shows little to no handling marks, brass caliber and sight information on right side of stock, leather sling, excellent bore, very faint import mark on barrel. Rifle is adjusted for the M41 torped cartridge. Receiver is stamped "Carl Gustafs Stads Gevarsfaktori 1901". Excellent. 12-183. (C&R)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THE REST OF THE STORY: Hi buffdog, now that's a pretty swede. If you recall there was two of them, 1916 elm stock RSF mod96s. I have the other one with the Elit sights. I just the ELm stocked swedes.
Take care and enjoy.
Bill.
Both were in about the same condition. I did consider the one with the Elit sights, but I have several with Elit sights and did not have one with the Hauges Diopter sight on it. I am happy to see that you recognized it for what it was, and bought it. These FSR rifles have been under-rated here in Canada, but the supply of them is starting to dry up a bit, and we are starting to see ones that are of lesser quality than a few years ago.

When buying these, I look at the rifle first, (date, condition, bore condition, stock wood type, scarcity, and sights.) Then the plate on the stock if there is one, because I find that in a lot of cases, the person or event can be researched. The FSR m/96 rifles are some of the very rare few rifles that can be tracked back to one owner. These forums are great, because people like SWEDE and ARILAR will add their knowledge to a post, and you get even more information on such a rifle.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
1,295 Posts
There seem to be none locally here either. The QC is about a 400,000 population center and no Swedes. Except, when the last gun show came to town. I bought my 1916 from up in Wisconsin and it will probably be Sat. or Mon. before it gets here.
Now I understand why I see practically no rifles with an Elm Stock. This one coming and the one by the OP are the only two I have seen to date. I hope it looks just as nice as the one buffdog posted here. Pics look like it does. See when it gets here.
I think I may have seen your rifle at a recent gun show here in Wisconsin? If so, I think you will be happy with the stock. As I recall, it looked more "elmy" than Buffdog's.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a spare 1916 Elm stock in pretty good shape if someone would like to trade a five pocket Swedish Bandolier. The serial number is in the 393xxx range and there is a top handguard, but it does not match. PM me if interested.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,913 Posts
I think I may have seen your rifle at a recent gun show here in Wisconsin? If so, I think you will be happy with the stock. As I recall, it looked more "elmy" than Buffdog's.
This one came from a Gun Dealer in Hartford. You may have seen it. It was on Gun Broker and presentation caused it to get missed I guess. It is shipping today. Saturday I hope maybe it will arrive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.