Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
24 Posts
Very nice rifle ! I would say you got a great deal. The ammo and the extras make it even better. I have a 1916 Enfield No 1 Mk3 that was one of my first surplus rifles I bought 20+ years ago. Your rifle is in much better condition . Congratulations on the find .
Now go out and shoot the old girl ! My sons have grown up shooting all types of surplus rifles and the Enfield is the one they always ask me to bring to the range.

·
Registered
13,509 Posts
Based on the crack at the rear of the forearm, I highly recommend disassembling & inspecting the forearm before you shoot it. There is no need to remove the buttstock, but if you decide to, you need to remove it after the forearm (and replace it prior to replacing the forearm).

It looks like a nice rifle, and with ammo, sling & bayonet, you pretty much stole it!!

We would also like to see pics of the markings under the rear handguard (which can be gently pried up from the rear without disassembly), as well as any markings on the left side of the butt socket (opposite the BSA markings).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Based on the crack at the rear of the forearm, I highly recommend disassembling & inspecting the forearm before you shoot it. There is no need to remove the buttstock, but if you decide to, you need to remove it after the forearm (and replace it prior to replacing the forearm).

It looks like a nice rifle, and with ammo, sling & bayonet, you pretty much stole it!!

We would also like to see pics of the markings under the rear handguard (which can be gently pried up from the rear without disassembly), as well as any markings on the left side of the butt socket (opposite the BSA markings).
I tried to pry off the rear hand guard but it is on pretty tight. I’m afraid to pry too much as I don’t want to break the thin parts of the wood that go along the sides of the rear sight.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Use an ice cream stick or something like that to pry it from beneath starting from the receiver side. Obviously make sure your rear sight is flipped up before you start. DO NOT USE A SCREWDRIVER, as you will mark up your receiver and barrel.

Do a little reading on here about issues with draws on No1 rifles. Cracks in the forend are one indication things are beginning to break. Inspect the inside of the forend before you shoot the rifle. There is a thread on here of someone buying a $600 SMLE I think and having the rear of the stock split wide open at the first round fired.

I tried to pry off the rear hand guard but it is on pretty tight. I’m afraid to pry too much as I don’t want to break the thin parts of the wood that go along the sides of the rear sight.

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
Plonker please enlighten me as to where you are referring please.
Not entirely sure which is why I said "IIRC" I vaguely recall a series of Military Districts with letter/number combos in Oz.
Establishment of military districts

Prior to the Federation of Australia, each colony maintained its own military and naval forces.

After Federation, the forces came under control of the Commonwealth. To assist with administration of the new Australian army, each state was allocated a military district to be known by its state name. The Northern Territory was not allotted to a district, although it was administered by South Australia. It was re-allocated to Queensland in 1911.

In 1911 the boundaries for the military districts were changed. Although based on states, the new districts did not strictly follow state boundaries:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.