Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1915 dated Westinghouse Moisin Rifle. I think it is a Finn refurb but here are the facts and if you could comment on my questions, it would be of great interest for me.

a. This is a Hex receiver rifle and the bolt serial matches the rifle but the serial number is stamped on the bold knob, not on the bolt body itself like my Russian and Chicom M44 carbines. I suspect this is a Finn Remark of the bolt? Can you comment pls.

b. The barrel next to the receiver has a SA in a box , the sling has same SA in box marking: what does this mean? I heard maybe its a capture stamp? If so, why would they mark the sling too??

c. The stock has sling swivels screwed into the slot on the forearm and butt. Does this mean its a original stock or is a Finn modified one?

Thanks for any info you can share// BTL

·
Gold Bullet member
1,431 Posts
1.) Yup, the serial number on the bolt knob is one of the places where the Finns renumbered the bolt. I could be wrong, but I THINK the earlier rifles had the number marked on the bolt body, while the later production and later refurbed rifles had the number stamped on the knob.

2.) [SA] stands for Suomen Armejia, or Finnish Army. It is a property marking.

3.) The Finns put these screwed in sling swivels onto new production, and recycled Russian stocks.

Any chance of photos?

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
fernleaf answered the questions well, but I can add a little.

a. yes, the Finn's marked their rifles so. They also marked their barrels with an SA in a box stamp - However, not all Finn rifles are stamped with the SA in a Box.

b. What fernleaf said & the Finn's pretty much marked a lot of their stuff with the SA in a box stamp....Guess they did not want their military stuff walking off =+)

c. could be....might be....possibly so....Many of these rifles saw a lot of service, so the stocks could very well be replaced with a Russian, American or Finnish M91 stock. We need pic's to really find out...

Click on these two links, they have much info to offer.....

http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/default.asp

http://7.62x54r.net/

Pahtu.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts