Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enclosed is another Kar 98 Erfurt that surfaced from a large collection in AZ recently. This one is 100% all matching and has a good bore. I already have an all matching Kar 98 1918 Erfurt with original sling but the stock is breech. And have been looking for a walnut stocked Kar 98 at a good price and patience finally paid off. Kar 98's are good shooters and I prefer them over the Gew 98's because they don't shoot as high as the Gew 98.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
13,133 Posts
Very nice!

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,478 Posts
Hello Gents,

Beautiful rifle Orcutt! Nice find. I'm a sucker for nice matching Kar 98. Well done. It's always nice to have both the early and late war variations of the Kar 98. In my case, I prefer the late war 1918 Erfurt with the two piece Beech stock to the early 1910 dated example in the Collection.

Like your 1918 dated Erfurt, the bolt in my 1918 dated Erfurt with the two piece stock also has what appears to be a blued bolt. I'll have to use this as an excuse to pull out Dieter Storz book on the Mauser 98. If memory serves me correctly, late war rifles had blued bolts to save on polishing compound?

Nice find! Well done Bud. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
680 Posts
Like your 1918 dated Erfurt, the bolt in my 1918 dated Erfurt with the two piece stock also has what appears to be a blued bolt. I'll have to use this as an excuse to pull out Dieter Storz book on the Mauser 98. If memory serves me correctly, late war rifles had blued bolts to save on polishing compound?
late war receivers had a bead-blasted rough sort of finish, but I don't know about the bolts, I think they were polished to the last.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After a good cleaning I took the 1915 Erfurt out to see how it shot and did very well at 100 meters shooting at a 2 inch thick, 10 inch diameter steel plate. I used two different kinds of ball ammo 1st type was Yugo and I never missed using a 6 o-clock hold and the second type was some Turk and I never hit the plate. I don't shoot military ball ammo all that much but it's sure a blast knocking the hell out that plate making deep pock marks in the steel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.