Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon Gunboards!

I took somewhat of a gamble on this one in a local auction as I only had a few photos to go off of. From the pictures, I imagined it was reblued, and was aware that the stock lug had been ground. I wanted this for a shooter example so wasn’t much deterred by these problems. However, upon further inspection, I now have more questions.

The numbers match on all parts, with the firing pin remaining unmarked. I have attached pictures (the grips also have the 14 stamped on the interior). The magazine does not look like it ever had a serial on it, but does have a very faint imperial marking.

I am mainly curious if anybody can identify the unit markings, or if this was an over zealous restamp job. The best I can make out the stamps is, “1.L.M.K.R.A.R.51.5y.” Also, any other info would be appreciated. If you have an idea of value that would be appreciated as well.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Sure too bad the stock lug got ground off, and it has the fine tune front and rear sites. That would be a big plus. I have a 1917 Art. Luger with the fine tune sites, all matching numbers, 1915 dated brown holster with stock attached and an original drum magazine. If your Luger still had its stock lug it could be worth somewhere between $2k and $2.5k I'd estimate. As it is its value as a shooter is maybe $850 to $1k.

·
Banned
6,846 Posts
Missing lug is a big loss on value. That said, I think it's worth $12-1500 . It is a Luger and has all matching parts. The un numbered firing pin is a replacement . If the mag hasn't been ground of the serial number, it's worth $200 because all you have to do is stamp your gun's Serial number onto it and bingo, you have a completely matching gun. RAR could be Reserve Artillery Regiment . I'm guessing . A lot of lugs were ground off when it was illegal to attach a stock to a pistol. Of course you had to have the stock, but who knows what goes through stupid peoples minds. Just call it a "Target Luger" .

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
martin08 ----- I like your shooter Artillery piece. It looks like the piece has a fine tune front site but can't tell about the rear site. What is the date on your shooter ? I have two 100% matching Artillery lugers both dated 1917. I have fired both but I don't shoot them anymore. One came with a 1915 dated holster with the carry shoulder strap and stock with attaching iron. I was able to pick up an original snail drum magazine about a year after that. All together these pieces make an impressive combination.

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,943 Posts
martin08 ----- I like your shooter Artillery piece. It looks like the piece has a fine tune front site but can't tell about the rear site. What is the date on your shooter ? I have two 100% matching Artillery lugers both dated 1917. I have fired both but I don't shoot them anymore. One came with a 1915 dated holster with the carry shoulder strap and stock with attaching iron. I was able to pick up an original snail drum magazine about a year after that. All together these pieces make an impressive combination.
It's a 1916 with adjustable rear sight, matching less mag. Just badly, badly pitted on the left side.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
martin08 ----- I'm sure your Artillery is a fine shooter and you get enjoyment burning powder with it. Thanks for the good photos of your Art. Do you reload for your shooter? As I mentioned I no longer shoot mine. Instead I shoot a piece with a 6" barrel and a rear toggle adjustable site (100 & 200 meter) positions that is quite accurate. This piece has been refinished so is not a collector piece but it is 100% matching serial numbers. My other shooter luger is a S/42 with a 4" barrel that has one mismatched serial number.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a refinished and 100% matching 1914 Erfurt LP.08 with an appropriate stock and repro drum mag. Too bad I got the drum over the summer and have not had a chance to test it out, but the stock makes it a pleasure to shoot in many facets...really noticeable in my accuracy out to 100 yards with it.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
HerrKaiser ----- I know you enjoy your Erfurt LP.08 Luger. Is your stock an original ? Will the repro drum take rounds? I believe I read somewhere that these drums would take 7 or 8 rounds in the stem and the lugers are a pleasure to shoot with them installed. I've thought about picking up a repro drum and trying it out in my shooter lugers. I've never loaded my original drum with rounds to try it in a gun. I have attached my stock to my 6" barreled luger and shot at an old shot up 25 pound propane bottle at 50 and 100 yds. The bottle is easy to hit with the stock in place shooting from both distances. The 100 and 200 meter rear site on the 6" luger is right on at 110 yds. I shoot only my own hand loads with a 115 grain bullet in my shooters. My hand loads are not hot loads and about 175 yds. is their max. effective range. I'm pretty careful with the ammo I shoot in the 1920 Navy Type DWM commercial luger with the two position rear site.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BigCoulee— it sounds like you have an awesome luger collection! I realize I am a novice here but would love to learn more about what I got! Especially that pesky unit marking. It will keep my matching byf42 and Finn Luger company.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
mitchellb3 ---- The Artillery lugers in WWI were mostly issued to artillery and machine gun crews in stead of rifles or carbines that would have been cumbersome for such crews. It would be difficult 105 years after the fact to properly identify regiments and / or companies to which your Art. Luger was issued, that the unit's markings on your piece represent . But it would be interesting to research that info out and try to pin it down.

I do have some interesting luger pieces (15 of them) but it is not an ":awesome collection". I have a couple commercial pieces, one of which is the 1920's Navy Luger Type I mentioned. The rest are WWI and WWII military pieces, including a byf 42 similar to yours plus a byf 41 as well. Over the years I've tried to find original luger holsters stamped with the same year dates as the lugers that currently sleep in them. I've been trying to do the same with the WWII P.38's in my meager collection of eight pistols. So far I've been moderately successful with both types. But the prices this sort of nonsense has been going for these days it is getting a little more than my retirement income can abide. I'm glad I started collecting WWI & WWII military hand guns when they could be picked up at gun shows for considerably under a century note, back in the good old days, just a little short of a century ago. Pop some caps with your artillery and have fun with it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.