Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a man paid 300 dollars for one in VG condition with matching Action, bolt and floorplate NO's, would this man have spent too much...(me). Regards, Rick.

·
Silver Bullet member
278 Posts
1915 Danzig Gew98

Rick, if you relying on info from the auction you just won, it would be pure luck if it turned out to be much of anything. One of the main pics wasn't even a Gew98.....

·
Registered
582 Posts
If a man paid 300 dollars for one in VG condition with matching Action, bolt and floorplate NO's, would this man have spent too much...(me). Regards, Rick.
Rick -
I was kicking around the idea of bidding on that - but glad I didn't seeing as how I would have been bidding against a fellow member. :)
One thing though - the bolt doesn't match according to the auction listing. The floor plate matches the barrel/receiver - but that is it.
With having a VG bore I'd definitely say that you didn't get hurt though! :D
Happy shooting!

·
Copper Bullet member
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My thoughts

I was really kind of messed up on this auction.....I sold an Oberndorf and kind of missed a GEW.....well I bought one and I hope it turns out OK. Thanks for the kind words. Regards, Rick.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rick, if you relying on info from the auction you just won, it would be pure luck if it turned out to be much of anything. One of the main pics wasn't even a Gew98.....
Hello feldmutze.....what pic might that have been....they all looked like a GEW98 to me?????Regards, Rick.

·
Silver Bullet member
278 Posts
1915 Gew98

The last pic....look at the receiver, bolt, & safety. Does that appear to you for a Gew98?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just bought a Turk marked 1918 Oberndorf Gew 98..

and am happy to have paid so little!These are drying up,just as the Persian BRNO Mausers (and others) are.Shoot,I just paid $130.00 for a decent Butcher Blade bayonet and scabbard!These too have appreciated.The sawbacks can hit $300.00!-Gearhead-PS-Tennessee Gun parts sells Tall Mauser front sights for $15.00 SHIPPED!Got two incoming!

·
Copper Bullet member
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The last pic....look at the receiver, bolt, & safety. Does that appear to you for a Gew98?
Hello Feldmutze....the only thing I see that seems odd os the rounded shroud. Everything else looks OK. I'll look at my Oberndorf from that angle. Regards, Rick.

·
Silver Bullet member
278 Posts
1915 Danzig G98

Rick, besides that obviously wrong shroud & the serated safety wing, the bolt ball/root is incorrect, and that blued receiver doesn't show "Danzig 1915"....instead some kind of possibly Turk stuff.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rick, besides that obviously wrong shroud & the serated safety wing, the bolt ball/root is incorrect, and that blued receiver doesn't show "Danzig 1915"....instead some kind of possibly Turk stuff.
You are absolutely correct. I am calling gunrunner in the morning and get this straightened out. The shroud looks like a shroud off a Swede, the serrated safety doesn't match my Oberndorf and the root is incorrect on the bold handle. Not sure of the crest. Scott has been good to me so we'll see what he says. I'm not even sure it's worth 200! Thanks for the keen eye. Regards, Rick.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,538 Posts
That last picture looks like a mis-post. The bolt is certainly not the same as the first pic.

If you bought that gew in the first three pics, and it has a decent bore, etc, I don't think $300 is a bad price at all. An early stock with the disc (might even be marked) is a nice find, too.

Let us know how it turns out.

T

·
Registered
582 Posts
Rick,
I have run into this before - where a picture from another rifle has been shown on an auction of theirs that it doesn't belong to. The last picture looks like it should be part of the auction for either the Spanish model 93 or maybe the 1903 Mauser. At any rate - it definitely isn't a pic of the the 1915. :)

·
Copper Bullet member
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow

You guys are sharp! I'll call Scott in the morning and get it cleared up.....he is a straight shooter. Regards, Rick.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GEW

I talked to Scott and indeed it was a photo out of place. He assured me it had a correct bolt and apologised for the error. I said forget it as the sharp eyes on the forum figured this out. He added the rifle had nice cartouches an had a very very nice bore.....Things are looking up. I'll post some pics when the rifle arrives. Thanks for all the help on this, regards, Rick.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Rick,
I made the road trip up to Scott's place tonight picking up my rifles and pistol and while I was there, I took a peek at your Danzig. I think you are gonna be pretty pleased with it. :D
Happy shooting!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'd say you were right on for $300. Entertainingly enough, that is exactly what I paid for a 1915 Danzig Gew98 about two years ago here in Maine. Mine was looking pretty cruddy and took some work to put her right but was all matching. If yours is clean, then I'd say you made out better then me. And I was pleased at the price! Post some pics when it come in!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts