Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
13,459 Posts
This pistol has nothing to do with NAA. My information says about 104 NAA pistols were made, none delivered to the US Military. Karl K says he has never seen a three digit example.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Mike, I brought up NAA only to indicate rejection if not marked properly, the pistol here is missing the US Property stamping but does not look like it was scrubbed. I believe the NWMP museum has a NAA with a three digit serial.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have 88480 which was inherited from my grandfather who served in the US Army Air Corp in the early 1920's as an aircraft engine mechanic. He worked on the US Army Air Corp bombing tests against old WWI German battleships with Billy Mitchell. The family story is that he win the pistol in a poker game. The family donated his uniform to the US Air Force Museum after we found it among his things after he past away.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,459 Posts
I am pretty sure that US Property mark has been removed but was done better than most I have seen. Turnbull will put the marking back unless he has stopped doing just that.? I would just leave it, it is part of its history and it happened quite a bit. I decided I wanted one with the marking removed and got lucky and got an early USN with correct everything but it was not cheap.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for your reply here is another close up picture. Had another friend look at the pistol with good lighting and magenfining glass and it appears something has been removed. You can run you finger across the area and is rougher than the rest of the frame. Mystery solved you were right. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't think it has been reblued, looks like the rest of the gun, just a little brighter in that area. Who ever removed it done a good job like Mike said.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,380 Posts
Could have been a small area cold blue, where the receiver was heated up before application of "cold blue". Heating up the metal before applying the blue gives a deeper/richer blue color [my experience].

Chuck.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,380 Posts
Robcox1, I have a 1913 Colt less than 175 numbers from yours. I believe it has not been through a rebuild, not sure what to look for. It has been in the family since before WW2.

Chuck.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Robcox1, I have a 1913 Colt less than 175 numbers from yours. I believe it has not been through a rebuild, not sure what to look for. It has been in the family since before WW2.

Chuck.
I would love to see photos! The SA (Springfield Armory) marking on the frame near the serial number is what indicates mine went through a rebuild.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,380 Posts
I will get some pic's of my 1913 pistol up soon.

Chuck.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts