Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked this up while on vacation a couple weeks back. It seems to be in good shape. All parts 100% original matching numbers. I see no FTR marks and it is not import marked. Gunshop owner picked it up and other firearms from an estate. Rifle does show its age and wear but no serious rust. Rifling good but a little dark. I will have to shoot her and see if it cleans up. Paid $275 OTD. I dont have a lot of info on these early Enfields. Now my request for help. Questions.
1 Who is the manufacturer LSAC ?
2 Any history on the stock disc marking?
3 What is that device that is screwed on the front end of the rifle?
4 Should I try to find the rear sight for the volley or were these commonly removed?
5 Price paid OK ?
6 Any thing else that you all see that I should know about?
Thanks in advance for any help. Ed

·
Silver Bullet member
15,636 Posts
Not too much!

I don't think you paid too much, maybe too little.

How about picts of the 'device' from the front and the right side?

It may be one of the 'Flander's mud flaps' , or similar to close the muzzle to debris.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
mauserdad, to answer some of your questions...
1.) LSA Co - London Small Arms Co.
2.) Unit marking disc - I'll leave that one to someone else!
3.) Muzzle Flap, aka "Flanders Flap" - The spring is missing and I can't tell from your photo if the section of the flap that covers the muzzle is still attached at the hinge. I consider this to be an uncommon accessory and, if mostly intact, a great find.
4.) Yes! If mine I'd search high and low for a volley sight. Adds to the overall value IMHO.
5.) $275 OK? YES!!! I paid $375 last year for a BSA dated 1912 in similar condition with a BSA #9 target sight and thought I did very well. Even w.o. the Flanders Flap I think you did great. I'm sure Paul, John and the other experienced collectors here will be able to give a realistic value to the Flanders Flap but I've only seen them on the market a few times in the last 5 years so putting a current market price to one isn't easy. I'd bet one of these up on Epay would start a bit of carnage!
Congratulations on a great find!

·
Silver Bullet member
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gent's, thank you very much for the info. I guess that the device is missing some of the parts and replacement parts non existent. Where could I find the rear volley sight? Thanks again. Ed

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
It's a very good price, and I would certainly find a volley sight arm to replace the missing one. Check with Springfield Sporters.

It does appear to have suffered a bit of trauma. I'd probably check under the damaged area of the forestock to make sure nothing's bent or cracked before firing it.

The number on the disk looks to be some sort of rack number.

A great find! It'd look great sitting next to the 1911 LSA in my gun closet. :D ;)

·
Silver Bullet member
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you sir. I had her apart and evrything under the wood is in good shape. I will try the parts houses for the sight. Thanks again. Ed

·
Registered
227 Posts
The disc is almost surely a rack number
Have you taken it of and looked at the other side
They were sometimes reused by reversing and the early pre war rifles are quite often interestingly marked to their units

·
Silver Bullet member
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes Sir,I sure did. It was blank. Thanks for asking. Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts