Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Very nice rifle.

I'm wondering whether it was reblued before it came to you? Looking at the crisp finish, it doesn't have any obvious patches of wear as one would expect from a rifle which has seen a fair bit of use. My 1912 BSA is quite worn where contact would be expected.

The other thing that makes me wonder whether it was refinished is that the damaged wood near the volley pointer is evident but there is no wear or damage to the blue in that area.

Not that I'm paying out on the rifle, if I didn't have one and I had the cash, I'd buy such a rifle in a heartbeat.

Cheers,
Matt

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No Matt, I would say not. The condition is fairly typical of a lot of QP marked BSA's. When I posted the rifles details in the QP survey, central's research found that it had been issued to Childers station in 1914, damaged and returned to store the same year. The only repair I could see had been made is the rear of the forend under the volley peep that you mention. I would be very confident stating that rifle has not been reblued.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Ah, ok. I didn't see that it was a QP rifle. That'd explain the condition as I was going on the expected condition of a military rifle over those years.

I'm guessing then that if most QP rifles are this good, then they'd command quite a premium. They may not have military service history but are important in Australia's use of the SMLE.

Now I'm keen to find one!

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
688 Posts
Demo, Queensland Police mark 3's are the best you will come across. One day I will get motivated to post some pics of my 4 plus my 3 marks 1's. Mine have brilliant bluing and barrel condition. The volley plates are amazing with pristine as new bluing. Even the hooked quillion QP bayonets you come across are as new. I heard you had more of these.

Matt your rifle is very interesting with cancelled sold out of service marks.

·
Registered
901 Posts
View attachment 320968 Sorry about my delay in getting back to you Demo, I only saw your post last night. My 1912 BSA does have a windage-adjustable rearsight, serialled to the rifle.

Playn, I have wondered about that. My 1915 Lithgow H also has cancelled sold out of service marks. I'm guessing that they were sold out of service after WW1 and impressed back into service when the drive for privately owned .303s saw range rifles going back in. Interesting for my 1915 Lithgow though, it had the H conversion done in 1935 but was sold out of service and reimpressed at some point.

Makes me wonder, were there regular disposals of military rifles in Australia after WW1?

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
901 Posts
Thats ok Matt. After looking at the pictures of your very nice rifle and observing the serial number I remembered having a windage sight with something similar. If you didn't have a windage sight on the rifle I was going to offer it to you.
That's a very kind gesture Demo, thank you very much. Had I not had one, I would have gladly taken you up on it. That's one thing I've found on this forum; people willing to help others.

Warms the heart.

Cheers,
Matt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.