Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Glad to see an international Krag-Jørgensen forum. I just wanted to share my all-matching 1912/16 carbine, serial # 96XX.

Regards,

Balder

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Norge Krag....

Here is another one, if the upload works....BTW: Balder, your middle band is reversed....I am sure that the sling was opposite the bolt handle...unless the Norge Army had a different theory......

Dale

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....BTW: Balder, your middle band is reversed....I am sure that the sling was opposite the bolt handle...unless the Norge Army had a different theory......

Dale
Dale,

I was waiting for somebody to react. The thing is, this carbine is a family heirloom that saw action against the Germans in April/May 1940. The middle band has always been reversed and, for some obscure reason, I like to keep it that way.

Balder

·
Silver Bullet member
2,085 Posts
Very Nice examples of the 1912

I have over the years accumulated almost all of the parts for the refurbishment of my 1912 except the front through stock screw that holds the nosecap, the rear handguard ring and the stud screw that stabalizes the rear hand guard on the flat portion(do i make any sense in my descriptions?) I believe it is missing a tiny screw that stabalizes the front sight but that can be easily remidied. . Alas the stock on mine has been badly bubbaed and it has no handguards...I assume there is a front and a rear hand guard?
Perhapps we can organize a 'group buy' for norwegian carbine and rifle stocks from Richardsons microfit stock or some such. My rifle is dated 1916 if I remember correctly but the nosecap/bayonet lug i located is the earlier version minus the stabalizing screw that Balders' has.
thanks to all including Tuco and Dutchman!
gil

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here's my early '50's USA imported Mdl 1912 carbine as I posted early on another thread. S/N's don't match, including the bolt, and it's missing cleaning rod and the sling, but it does have a great bore, and it's in pretty good condition. Fired cases aren't deformed, so the head space appears to be good too.

LDHare

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I have a VG+ condition m/1912 made in 1915 that has a hair line crack running lengthwise from the middle of the pistol grip back about 2.5 inches. I used to fire it extensively but I showed it to a friend of mine who is a cabinet maker and he told me that if I kept shooting it the crack would grow and I might eventually have a "detachable" buttstock. Drat.....

I really miss not shooting my Norski, it was a tack driver with late production Swedish 6.5x55 ball ammo.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Krag,

I've had that problem with at least two old stocks. By using a very thin knife blade I managed to pry the crack open just enough to insert the very thin needle of a syringe with wood glue intended for outdoor use. Then I applied pressure by tightening a belt around the stock. It could be worth a try, but be very careful as you pry the crack open.

Balder

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Here's my 1918 dated carbine---receiver and bolt match, stock and bands match. Someone made one rifle out of two.
Bore is ugly and after the range test, it's obvious I'm going to need a bigger target frame----a 2'X2' was not showing hits at 200 yards.
I love the Baroque lines of this rifle though and have seriously considered a new barrel, despite the expense and bother.
-----krinko

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Pin in front of rear sight....on Gil's Gun.

Gil: I think that is a battle sight regulating pin.....threads into the top of the barrel, and sticks up thru a hole in the handguard, when the shooter flops the rear sight all the way forward, it rests on this pin, and there is a notch on bottom of the sight to be used as a battle sight. The pin is adjusted by filing to obtain the correct range correction...

It does stabilize the hand guard, but unless I am hallucinating what I read years ago, that is what the darned thing is for. Many American collectors in the 50's, being ignorant of European practice, removed this pin, along with the stubby cleaning rod, as part of their quest to ruin as many guns as possible before the millenium....

Dale

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
krinko,

That stock looks to be in excellent condition, I 'd like to see a picture of the whole carbine - especially the front end. If you give me the serial number I may be able to trace its military history thanks to the listings in Hanevik's excellent book.

Balder

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi my name is robert and i am new to this forum. I have a question, i recieved from an old friend a krag rifle dated on the front of the reciever 1923, all the metal looks good but the stock was cracked under the magazine is there any place one could purchase a stock for this rifle, and also there are no markings stating the calibur, anyone have any ideas, for a stock and the calibur it might be.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello Robert,

Welcome to the forum. Without pictures it's hard to say much apart from 1923 indicating a Norwegian Krag-Jørgensen in 6.5x55 caliber.

Balder

·
Silver Bullet member
2,085 Posts
1912/16 stoc further inquiry

Howdy
I doubt I will ever find an original stock with handguards and given that the only remaining examples probably reside in Europe, alas I won't be able to afford them.
For those of you fortunate enough to have an intact rifle is the handguard 2 piece? I am going to recreate an ersatz example of the 1912 wood with the remnants by glueing and laminating wood onto the original. I can use a Swede handguard ring for the handguard, it seems to match perfectly.
thanks
gil

·
Silver Bullet member
2,085 Posts
Thanks Balder

So then what would the length of the handguard be overall??? 50cm'20 inches? I have lots of vz-24 stocks with stable walnut but they may not be long enough.
thanks
gil

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
handguards

Refer to the pix above, it is full length, and fits under the upper band, has a metal collar at the back that is difficult to reproduce, and it has screw from the inside that secure it to the wood.....

Dale

·
Silver Bullet member
2,085 Posts
Oh well, my 1912 restoration will be an ersatz job

finding another piece of Norski hardware (handguard ring)just makes my project more complicated. I can use an ursatz model 96 Swede handguard ring to fit the reciever end of a fabricated handguard to the rifle, as it fits perfectly.....but.
Does anyone have both a model NK 94 long rifle and NK 1912 carbine. Is the rear portion of the long rifle stock up to the band identical to the rear portion of the 1912 stock? I am considering importing a shorthened stock to start the rebuild project for my carbine.
Thanks for any ideas or comments
gil

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gil,

Things are a little busy right now, give me a few days and I'll take some pictures and measurements of the M/1912 hand guard.

Balder

·
Registered
373 Posts
Gents,

I have an opportunity to purchase a 12/16 carbine/short rifle in about the exact the same condition as the example pictured above, with excellent sharp and shiny bore. All correct, complete, original configuration and matching. No sling. The seller has a firm $1700 price tag on it. I haven't the slightest on values. I've searched just about everything I could think of with little to go on still. Is this a fair price?

Thanks,
RP

1 - 20 of 33 Posts