Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, they are few and far between and it's difficult to judge prices through Gunbroker because of that.

I don't have any pictures just a description.

All markings present including the U.S. Property, Ordnance, great seal and Inspection Marks. All parts are S marked for Springfield. Bore has some pitting but strong rifling with frosting. So fair I guess. Bluing is about 60% with some very light pitting along the top of the slide. Original Double Diamond Grips in good shape and a magazine with lanyard ring.

For a Springfield Armory Collector this is the dream piece. I was would be a good price.

I understand how hard it is to determine without pictures. I was just wondering a conservative estimate.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,898 Posts
I see them, as you describe, in the $2500 asking price range. The magazine is very important to value and most lanyard magazines were not Springfield. Did it have the fold over the base construction?

·
Banned
20,922 Posts
Agreed. These pieces vary widely in value, depending on finnish and correct parts. Also, the venue in which they are sold make a big difference. It's not uncommon to see them when researching realized prices from the more prestigious auction houses (i.e. Rock Island, James Julia) breaking the $5,000 mark. Heck, even Gunbroker did that recently.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=386764294

So, $2750 doesn't sound too out of line (to me), if mag is correct, small parts are marked properly, and finish is as described. Others might not agree with the big prices, but most of those guys already have their specimens (and try to get them to part with them for $1,500. Ain't happenin')!

I've been working at a local owner to part with one for over a year with a standing $3,500 offer, even with a Colt barrel. But it is otherwise correct, and NICE, at around 90%.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,254 Posts
Tried to sell one for a friend a few years ago. All S marked parts, one correct mag, 80% blue. We were asking $6000 which it did not bring but he would not take a $3000 offer. I would have given $3000 but not much more.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I'm still kicking myself for letting Springfield 1911 BIN on Gunbroker slip through my hands for $1545 last year. It was beautiful some parts had been replaced. It wasn't perfect but definitely a great representative piece. But all markings were crisp, and the bluing was gorgeous (not refinished). But before I could get a response if the seller would take CC it sold. I think it lasted a total of 3.5 hours haha.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,898 Posts
Yeah I'm still kicking myself for letting Springfield 1911 BIN on Gunbroker slip through my hands for $1545 last year. It was beautiful some parts had been replaced. It wasn't perfect but definitely a great representative piece. But all markings were crisp, and the bluing was gorgeous (not refinished). But before I could get a response if the seller would take CC it sold. I think it lasted a total of 3.5 hours haha.
We all mess up and miss things. In 1988 I passed on a 99% totally correct Springfield with 2 correct SA lanyard mags for $900. I have never, ever seen a better example. It would bring $10-12K today. I instead elected to buy a 99% US&S for about $750, which turned out to be refinished. I messed up big. Live and learn.

I much later, ended up with a much worse example at a bigger price, as pictured. It is totally correct and original but not near as nice as the one I missed. And if you think a Springfield is tough find a UMC or a first year Colt.

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually really like that Springfield. I mean I know its been reblued sometime ago and it's got the "idiot mark" but honestly I think it's a great representative piece. For the right price I wouldn't pass it up. But I have a feeling you didn't pay "representative piece" price by the context of your post.

If you don't mind me asking how much did you snag it for?

My buddy has a 1912 Colt all markings intact with a AA stamp. But he wanted $1500 for it. Replacement grips and reblued I told him, he was nuts. I wouldn't pay more than 1k-1,100 because a lot of the value was stripped.

Did you see that UMC on Gunbroker for 3k? I don't know much about them and then again I'm a Colt or SA guy. It gets way too expensive if you try and branch out from those alone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts