Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the 1911 rifles came with a 1 in 9 twist rate, and others in 1 in 10.63. I'm thinking the 1 in 10.63 would be better, because they standardized at that. But, what are the problems with the 1 in 9 rate?:confused:

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Guisan, the reason I wanted to know is because I have to make a choice between two 1911 rifles, one has the 1 in 9 twist. I'm wondering if that one would be more desirable as a collectible because it is probably more rare, and if I decide to shoot it, how accurate would it be compared to a K31 with 1 in 10.63 twist. I think the long rifle should be more accurate than the carbine, but, if you over spin it, it may not be as accurate as a K31!
AC

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Well for collectors the rifle with the 230mm twist is the most interesting one, only the early 96/11's and 1911's had those before they changed to 270mm in 1913.
For the 1911 they were the serials 350.001 - 365.000.

Guisan.:)

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I thought. If I get it, I'll have to do the comparison test myself. That will be fun!:) Thanks Guisan!

AC

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I think you will find it depends on the ammo you are going to shoot. I'm guessing here on the intent of the Swiss military but the faster twist is better for stabilizing a longer bullet like the GP90 type. The slower twist is fine for the lighter, shorter GP11 bullet. As for overstabilizing I don't think it will be a problem as long as you are not shooting very long ranges like 1000m on up. The problem with over doing it normally won't affect shorter ranges because the bullets arc is much flatter. Another indicator that says 1:9 is ok is the number of .308 rifles in the US using 150gr bullets and 1:10 twist shooting at long range matches successfully. The GP11 bullet at 174 gr has a longer bearing surface and should be fine at the faster rate....

This is all my opinion based on experience with other firearms so take it as its intended, not gospel.

Hope it makes some sense though.

Frank
In indiana

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah Frank, I was thinking of the issue with AR-15's and the 1 in 7 twist opposed to the 1 in 12 twist. The faster twist was for the heavier and longer bullet. Your insight makes me feel at ease with it. Thanks!

AC

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Got it!

Here she is. A very smooth and beautiful stock, in wonderful condition.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,804 Posts
Looks like an excellant addition... :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hello all,
I'm dredging this up from the past instead of a new post. There weren't many 1:9 1911's produced. Maybe for a reason. If anyone owns one and can share their opinion on it's accuracy with surplus GP11 ammo please elaborate. Thank you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts