Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
192 Posts
My Argentine-made cav carb has a straight stock and blued receiver. All numbers match. As to Argie prices in general, local cabelas has a gorgeous 91 long rifle. Price: $545.99. Yes, it's pretty, and this Cabelas will deal on price, but $549.99? Geez. Maybe if they knocked a hundred bucks off, and maybe if the crest wasn't scrubbed, and maybe if I just HAD to have it....

On the upside, the 91s I have are apparently worth at lot more than I thought. Don't recall what I paid for my carb several years ago, but believe it was under $400.

· Registered
192 Posts
Correction: My 09 is an engineer carbine, takes a bayonet, has no cleaning rod. It is marked F.M.A.P. MAUSER MOD. 1909 DIRECCION GENERAL DE FABRICACCIONES MILITARES. I agree with hodgie on the price; that incorrect stock is a major bargaining chip for you.

BTW local cabelas also had a nice 1909 long rifle. Same price. It sold quick. Sign of the times?

Oh, and what is the asking price on that GEW 88 to the left of the Mauser?

Albug1972, that rifle still at cabelas in Grand Junction, CO, is an 1891, not a 1909. Not only is the receiver scrubbed, they also ground off the stamp on the stock. Someone obviously didn't want anyone to know where that rifle came from.

· Registered
192 Posts
Albug1972, how did your Mauser quest turn out? Was in Cabelas yesterday, and the very fine and pricey 1891 was gone. Wish I knew the actual selling price. Might put a couple of mine up for sale, heh.

Is it possible your rifle is in a cut down M98 long rifle stock? An 09 stock would not work due to the location of the lower band, but a Turk M38 stock, with a bit of woodworking, could be converted w/o too much trouble. Is there a firing pin take-down ferrule in the butt?

· Registered
192 Posts
I hear ya. Carbine similar to yours--but with a correct stock--just sold for under $400 right here on the WTS/WTT. When you consider the cost/hassle of finding a proper stock, that LGS price would need to be pretty cheap to make the project worthwhile.

· Registered
192 Posts
Thanks, that was me asking about the Turked G88. If it's anything like mine (Amberg 1891) it will have a .323 groove. Haven't checked prices in a while, but that seems a little high.

Wouldn't worry about the 1891 mismatched bolt if you're looking for a shooter and the price is attractive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.