Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a chance on an 1891 Argentine Carbine, knowing that the rifling was not good.
Got here, and yeah, this gun, as is, is done. The barrel is shot out (.312 bullets just slide right through), and the bolt does not have tight lock up.
That being said, the furniture and its hardware is in really good condition.
Question 1: can a 1909 barrel be used as a direct fit or easy modification in an 1891 action?
Question 2: is there a Mauser guru gunsmith who is known for cutting barrels down?
I have a surprisingly accurate bubba made carbine with a jacked up stock design, but a flawless 21" barrel & complete 1891 action that could be used as a base to use in the good furniture.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Short answer, no.

The 91 is a small ring action the 09 is large ring. The threaded shanks are different sizes. The 09 could be turned down but the barrel contour is totally different. It would be completely cost prohibitive if you want everything correct.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Surplus Long Guns | Centerfire Systems

I bought three bbl'd receivers from them this year and all had nice bores. Contact their sales department and ask for a hand pick bore condition.

For install, this gentleman has extensive experience with Mausers.

clemsongunsmi[email protected]

-or-

Exchange with your bbl'd action. There are NOS un-numbered bolts out there if you need to replace yours.

Welcome to Gunboards!

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for that link.
However, they said that they cannot ship that to California, even to an FFL.
I have no idea why they cannot ship it to an FFL, but there it is.

What is completely ridiculous is that my sister could order it and have it shipped to her house in Oregon, and I could go pick it up with my C&R licence.
California is moronic, no wonder no one wants to deal with it anymore.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My gunsmith recountoured a good 1891 long rifle barrel down to match my old carbine barrel that`s the route I went . My new barrel had never been installed if you use a old one you may have a small dimple where set screw from rear site was but you could just plug it. He did it for pretty cheap 75.00 dollars and installed on receiver for me but he`s a friend and does gunsmith machining on the side. You could do that with your 21 inch 1891 bubba barrel just have it recontoured and resolder the sites off old barrel.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Thank you for that link.
However, they said that they cannot ship that to California, even to an FFL.
I have no idea why they cannot ship it to an FFL, but there it is.

What is completely ridiculous is that my sister could order it and have it shipped to her house in Oregon, and I could go pick it up with my C&R licence.
California is moronic, no wonder no one wants to deal with it anymore.
Well, if you are going to visit her anytime soon then that might be your best option. You might also could have it shipped to a FFL in Nevada or New Mexico and do the same thing. Heck, send it to "Pawn Stars" Rick in Vegas. That would be a great little trip!

Edit:Microsoft Word - GunLaw.docx (strandberg.us)

Looks like receivers don't qualify as C&R in California. Could a retail FFL accept it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's just It, they will not ship an antique receiver to a California FFL.
Any of them. 01, 03, 07, they don't care.
But they will ship a firearm. Company is run by morons.

I'll be hitting my sister up later.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well, if you are going to visit her anytime soon then that might be your best option. You might also could have it shipped to a FFL in Nevada or New Mexico and do the same thing. Heck, send it to "Pawn Stars" Rick in Vegas. That would be a great little trip!

Edit:Microsoft Word - GunLaw.docx (strandberg.us)

Looks like receivers don't qualify as C&R in California. Could a retail FFL accept it?
Rick doesn't have a FFL they only deal in antiques.

And Arizona is a bit closer to California than NM.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
That's just It, they will not ship an antique receiver to a California FFL.
Any of them. 01, 03, 07, they don't care.
But they will ship a firearm. Company is run by morons.

I'll be hitting my sister up later.
Well, I hope you get it worked out. If they have one with a good bore that would be the cheapest route and a simple parts swap that you can do.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I bought an 1891 carbine that was advertised as a poor barrel, but it actually looks ok to me so I'm indecisive now.
My original plan was to get a new .308 barrel made to match the original barrel contour

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm asking a known intermediary Arizona FFL if he can help.
If I send him a stock and trigger assembly, and he orders and installs the action, bam, no longer a barreled action, now a functional antique.

California laws are only designed to make things really, really hard, but not impossible, or they'd be unconstitutional.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I'm asking a known intermediary Arizona FFL if he can help.
If I send him a stock and trigger assembly, and he orders and installs the action, bam, no longer a barreled action, now a functional antique.

California laws are only designed to make things really, really hard, but not impossible, or they'd be unconstitutional.
I wonder if Centerfire would be willing to do the same? You send them the stock and bottom metal. Then they could sell it to you as a functional rifle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts