Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, i just found a super deal, a 1908 Brazil DWM complete action for $65. yes, i got it. now for the Q's. this is basicly a GEW98 copy, yes? will a ww2 era k98 barrel fit it? i have a chance for one of those for $20. nice bore but bluing is gone. i thought about a .30-06 barrel but there a 10 Billion .30-06's on the planet already.

any thoughts??

thanks, Dave

ps: yes, all the #'s on the complete action match.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,597 Posts
You might like to look at the sticky on South American Mausers to check, but I believe the 1908 is essentially a 98 action chambered in 7mm. If the bore is good you should find a stock for it. A matching Brazilian might be a little unusual as the S. American nations tended to store the bolts separately to reduce the numbers of coups.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
DWM made Gew 98's about same time as 1908 Brazilians.

The Argentine 1909 contract rifles were also DWM made and quite similar to the GEW 98. Mauser made the 1909 Peruvian and various 1910 rifles with very different receiver and barrel dimensions for export sale at this time. The 1908 Brazilian will take a K98k barrel with proper fitting for headspace and sight alignment. The 1908 Brazilian stock is probably the most readily available at this time but German K98k or Czech stock would work. The Czech's made Brazilian short rifles in the 1930's.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Short answer, yes, any large ring mauser 98 barrel should fit on your receiver. As already mentioned it will require installation of a competent gunsmith. As for caliber, yes there are a lot of 30.06's out there, so if you are not looking for that caliber, you could go to MidwayUSA.com and find barrels in many different calibers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.