Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited this rifle from my grandfather that had numerous firearms tucked away that we had no idea about. Do I have something here? I’m in the Military but not to versed on the old style rifles. Thanks for looking, any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
As I'm sure you probably gathered there wasn't an SS Brasil Freikorps, so your grandfather or someone else put a swastika in the stock for some reason. Looks like someone removed the lug at the wrist of the stock also. Parts appear to be correct but it is a total mismatch, and the sight on the short rifles was normally to 1400 not 2000.

Here is an old thread with a lot of the experts discussing 1908 short rifles:

Here is Liberty Tree's reference page for one they had:

Still an interesting rifle and would be a fun gun to shoot, that being said the random swastika on the stock will drop value, and so will the mismatch parts. I'll let someone else more versed in Brazilian rifles make a better judgement but thats my take on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appears to be missing the butt plate as well...is this thing worth anything? Seems to be a lot of anomalies

·
Registered
269 Posts
With all the plugs, mismatched parts, and the stock stamp you could probably get $300-$350 for it in today's market. The condition of the bore, if poor, would lower that even further.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,356 Posts
If the bore is in good condition it probably has potential as a shooter. Somebody might have been thinking about putting a sporting style butt-pad on it, that could be one reason why the buttplate is missing. DWM made quality rifles, so if the bore is good, it is probably worth saving. Look under the wood line to see how much rust there is. Rust seems to be a problem with Brazilian rifles You might be able to find a stock replacement for it online.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I bet you could find a butt plate. Might be some parts interchange, among a long list of very similar German made Mauser models sold to South America. I think worth while for $10 or $20 and the gun would much nicer for keeping or selling. I am not suggesting any whole sale parts upgrading, just a little bit to make the gun more presentable.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Some more info about your rifle:
  • she was made in 1913 as Long Rifle at Mauser Oberndorf, Germany. And shipped to Brazil
  • in a Brazil arsenal refurbished to Short rifle configuration, and rebarreled (visible by the barrel step). The originally straight bolt handle was bent. Bolt serial # (on the root of the handle) was scrubbed, or a spare part bolt (w/o serial #) was used.
  • the stock is probably from a Brazil 08/34 Short rifle (Czech made), as visible by the position of the wooden plug on the right butt side (the rear wooden plug was formerly a marking disc). The rear band looks to be Czech as well.
  • the rear sight seems to be a later (Brazil?) make
  • and heavily used, and heavily scrubbed...
Chris

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Chris awesome info here, I know there is a lot wrong with the mismatches on numbers and all, but I really want to shoot this thing. I’m hoping it’s still in good working order to put some rounds down range

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
If Chris is right, and I trust he is, that is not a bubba miss match. Just an honest old gun that has seen a whole lot of re-work. There is no shame in that.

I still suggest you find a butt plate. If you ask here for help, maybe some can give you a link to a source. A place that actually has one the will fit and is in stock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I broke down the rifle to take a look on the inside, heavy rust..should this pitting be a concern for the integrity of the barrel? And if so is there anything that can be done to repair it? Thanks for looking

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bore looks good to me, I’m still going to bring it to a smith to get a warm and fuzzy. Last thing I need is it to blow up in my face.. thanks for the help on all this...the stock is in ruff shape also, hand guard has a crack that needs replacement...plus the Swazi on it is a huge turn off...not sure why anyone would do that...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
please check if there's a 'B in circle' stamp on the barrel (near receiver). If the 'B in circle' is w/o serial #, that would indicate a Brazil spare part barrel (= rebarreling in a Brazil arsenal).
Chris

1 - 20 of 28 Posts