Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya.

Just wondering how tight a fit a 1907 (No.1 Mk I ;)) bayonet should be on my rifle no 1 Mk III?

I have a Chapman bayonet (May 1917) and on my rifle it seems to have quite a lot of freedom of movement, and rattles quite a lot.

Were they simply made with high tolerances so they would go on even if the rifle and bayonet were coated in mud?

Cheers.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,628 Posts
It's pretty subjective I suppose, but mine all seem to rattle a good bit.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I think that when BSA produced rifles on contract (eg for Siam and other overseas customer) they selected bayonets with a tight fit, and then numbered them to the rifle.

In British military service, I'm fairly sure that this was also a common practice in regular regiments in peacetime - ie the armourer would match bayonets to rifles for a snug fit and then number the bayonet.

Obviously, in the churn of two world wars, such niceties would have been impossible to stick with, and I imagine that the millions of rifles and bayonets would have paired up at random.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Australian (Lithgow ) bayonets were numbered to the rifle at the factory up till around 1943. How much effort was taken to keep them together when issued is not known, but I am yet to see a rifle with matching number bayonet.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have an Indian cut down P-07 that fits on all my No 1's and it slops around a bit on all of them. I would imagine the tolerances were a bit loose in this aspect, they would have wanted pointy bits to attach to rifles in general.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Australian (Lithgow ) bayonets were numbered to the rifle at the factory up till around 1943. How much effort was taken to keep them together when issued is not known, but I am yet to see a rifle with matching number bayonet.
I've only seen one matching pair. I can't remember the exact year. From memory it was in the early 40's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.