Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya.

Just wondering how tight a fit a 1907 (No.1 Mk I ;)) bayonet should be on my rifle no 1 Mk III?

I have a Chapman bayonet (May 1917) and on my rifle it seems to have quite a lot of freedom of movement, and rattles quite a lot.

Were they simply made with high tolerances so they would go on even if the rifle and bayonet were coated in mud?

Cheers.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
It's pretty subjective I suppose, but mine all seem to rattle a good bit.

·
Registered
847 Posts
My Wilkerson 1907 fits tight, but not too tight on my #1MkIII. It has just enough play to fit easy.
Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I think that when BSA produced rifles on contract (eg for Siam and other overseas customer) they selected bayonets with a tight fit, and then numbered them to the rifle.

In British military service, I'm fairly sure that this was also a common practice in regular regiments in peacetime - ie the armourer would match bayonets to rifles for a snug fit and then number the bayonet.

Obviously, in the churn of two world wars, such niceties would have been impossible to stick with, and I imagine that the millions of rifles and bayonets would have paired up at random.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think that when BSA produced rifles on contract (eg for Siam and other overseas customer) they selected bayonets with a tight fit, and then numbered them to the rifle.
Thunderbox,

Do you have further info on this----such as book or other reference ?

Regards,

JMB

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Australian (Lithgow ) bayonets were numbered to the rifle at the factory up till around 1943. How much effort was taken to keep them together when issued is not known, but I am yet to see a rifle with matching number bayonet.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have an Indian cut down P-07 that fits on all my No 1's and it slops around a bit on all of them. I would imagine the tolerances were a bit loose in this aspect, they would have wanted pointy bits to attach to rifles in general.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Australian (Lithgow ) bayonets were numbered to the rifle at the factory up till around 1943. How much effort was taken to keep them together when issued is not known, but I am yet to see a rifle with matching number bayonet.
I've only seen one matching pair. I can't remember the exact year. From memory it was in the early 40's.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I have a 1918 Sanderson-pretty loose fit on my parts rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
773 Posts
Ideally, the bayonet wants to be tight enough to not give away the fact that one is jittery before going over the top!..........bad for moral if all the bayonets are rattling! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts