Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello mosin men,,got a few questions on a 1891 mosin naganti recently picked up ..Frome what i can tell ..it's a tula arsenal dated 1906 ..Bolt and receiver match ,,but mag box and buttplate don't ..i never owned a 1891 but have had just about everthing else ..I know a little on the 1891 from surfing and know this one is SA marked ,, when i got it it looked odd but the price was right and like i said i never owned one ,,i knew the finns used mosins but didn't really dawn on me how odd this one was ,,it appeares it's in a 91/30 stock but the barrel lenght is 30.5" so alot of barrel is exposed ,,did the finns every replace a 91 stock with a 91/30 stock and not cut the barrel?,,it's a ful lenght 91/30 stock and kinda looks really cool with the longer barrel ,,but i think it was replaced ,,the stock is unmarked and in really good condition,,it is import stamped and possibly it may have been replaced by the importer but i don't know for sure on that ,,anyway i got a 1891 mosin now so at least i can say i owned one even if not original..lol..i'm encloseing a couple pics ,,,so was it worth the 100 bucks i paid or did i get stung?the bore looks quite good and i think it will be a blast to shoot,,
thanks guys ..
crazy

Attachments

·
Registered
859 Posts
Stock was improperly swapped (by bubba?). Neither the Russians or Finns would have done that I don't believe. An importer is not going to do it either. SA marked is very nice. It appears to be an older import so it has been here for a few years. Buying for $100.00 is not bad and it is a nice rifle. Finding the correct stock may prove difficult and pricy. They have not imported the M91's for quite some time to the best of knowledge. Hang onto it and enjoy. You can check buymilsurp for a stock. Also the auction sites have them once in a while.

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,049 Posts
Crazy,

Neat rifle. Have you checked for the date under the tang? Might be an original barrel receiver match, considering the eagles on the receiver. Think the Finns could have put that stock on. If they were in a hurry to get that piece into the field, used whatever was on hand. Soldier could have also changed it out, not hard. It's worth a hundred without wood. Hundred and four year old receiver with imperial eagles, maybe original barrel with good bore, SA marked...ya' done good. I'd leave it be. Please check the tang date and let us know.

LB

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everybody,,i didn't think i could go wrong on it being a 1891,,the receiver tang is dated 1906 also,,i thought about the same idea of it might have been pressed into service and just never made it to the hacksaw ..lol..,,how common are they to still have the 30" barrel?from whati've picked up on mosin nagant.com and 752x54 it seems alot were converted to the 91/30 configuration,,with the long exposed barrel it kinda gives it that vintage look like the old carcano vertillie rifles from around the same peoiod..thanks again
crazy

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,964 Posts
I don't think a whole lot of them were cut down to 91/30 spec's. I've seen a few posted on here, less than 10 or so. never saw an 1891 cut down to 91/30 in person. total barrel length should be more like 32 inches for an 1891 and slightly less than 30 for a dragoon. you did good for the price! y'all have a good day, Keith

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hello,,remeasureing the barrel it is 31 and a tad over a 1/2" i was measureing at first to the receiver flats ,,..thanks for pointing that out to me ,,crazy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts