Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the local gun show yesterday. There was a 1906 Gew98 there with all matching numbers. Bluing was all gone. The butt end had been in water so the wood had stained and shrunk back a bit from the butt plate on the trigger side. He wanted $995.00 for it. I think that is a bit much. The show will be on till 3:00 on Sunday. Anyone have any info on this price to share?

·
Gold Bullet member
2,318 Posts
I'd pass on it. Crazy money for one in the condition you describe.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,538 Posts
Early, matching Gew98 is a big plus in my book. I don't think these pre-war rifles are often seen - much less matched. The water damage to the stock is unfortunate.

$995 still seems to be waaaay over the top considering that I've seen wartime 98's (matching) sell for between $500-650. I don't think the early date add's that much to warrant a grand.

T

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1906 Gewher 98

Thanks for both of your imput. I felt it was way too high. I will pass.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,538 Posts

Check out gunbroker.com - I think there is a matching Gew98 or two on there right now. Might be one you want to bid on.

Good luck,

T

·
8,103 Posts
To bad....

The wood condition is a shame but there are not many pre-War Gew98 out there. Still, the price is high for the time being. The way things have been going it wouldn't surprise me if it hits that level.... in a few years.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,960 Posts
Am I missing something. I thought I was spending too much but a GEW 88 selling for $1300?

Did I miss something? I just cant justify that kind of money.

Anyone?

Ike

·
8,103 Posts
Am I missing something. I thought I was spending too much but a GEW 88 selling for $1300?

Did I miss something? I just cant justify that kind of money.

Anyone?

Ike

Actually, we're talking about a Gew98..... Some 88s will run into considerable money as well.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,960 Posts
Sorry, yes I meant a GEW 98. I was one of the bidders, but WOW!

·
8,103 Posts
Thought so...

I figured it was a case of hitting the wrong key. It is amazing to see the way that prices are rising, one of the negatives about collecting. As more people enter our field of interest, it becomes a seller's market. Sometimes you will run into people that seem to have more money than sense...

·
Silver Bullet member
278 Posts
Gew98

Ike27, the Gew98 you bid on that went for so much $$$was not even all matching (as advertised). The seller knew it but declined to revise the auction....

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,960 Posts
Odd, I got an email from him stating that it was all matching with the excpetion of the exception of the guard screws being un-numbered. Did I miss something else?

Thanks

I accidentially put a higher amount in Auto bid, thankfully someone out bid me. I wish they would let you revise your max bid.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ouch. That seems excessive for what it is.

It also makes me kinda sad. This hobby seems to be rapidly running out of its affordability. I'm glad that I got in to it. Just wish I had started earlier. I wonder if my son will be able to afford to collect when he's old enough and if it tickles his fancy. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts