Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got it last week, it cleaned up very nicely, completely functional and in pretty good working order. After loading up some very light cartridges (1.3 gr Red Dot under 78 gr RNFP coated bullets), I took it out for a spin at the range on Saturday. Even with the light loads, it is very snappy! Every so often the cylinder will not properly fully register -- I can't see the cause for that -- but it is obvious when it happens and a little turn of cylinder gets it to click into registration for the next shot. Any hints or suggestions as to what to look at for a possible cause would be appreciated. In any case, a very cool VERY tiny pocket pistol that fits completely inside the profile of my hand, a 1906 CCW! (This is a Second Model gun, made for smokeless powder cartridges; H&R's switch from "black powder cartridge only" First Model to Second Model happened in 1905.)
Everyday carry Gun accessory Composite material Gun barrel Metal

· Registered
3,332 Posts
Beautiful little old ccw!
Sorry no help with the indexing issue. But I love seeing posts on these old pocket revolvers. Bicycle models are a hoot.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Looks like a good one, maybe a worn pawl or hand spring. A new pawl or spring may remedy the issue. Tip of the pawl could be worn and not engaging the cylinder star ratchet properly or ratchet could be worn some. Try a very thorough and proper cleaning first.

Hand, or Pawl = a small lever that engages a notch to actuate movement in one direction only. Specifically, a small spring-loaded lever attached to the hammer of a revolver which actuates the cylinder to advance one increment and move the next chamber into battery as the hammer is cocked.

· Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Certainly everything accessible from the outside (and inside the grip frame) got a good scrubbing before I put a live round in it. There's a little bit of wear, of course, but really not much given its age. The barrel and cylinder chambers are excellent. I tried to look for any differences between the points of the cylinder star ratchet and don't see any, at least to the naked eye. I may open it up and clean the insides of the action next -- maybe something internal is intermittently slipping or interfering with the full travel of the hand.

· Silver Bullet member
55,654 Posts
Kerosene soaking gets unseen trash, hard oils,.
then molybdenum with artist brush..
in all area’s of reaching movements.

if in its history cooking oil used..
slows responses movement in mechanisms.
gun cleaners won’t touch it..
heating is answer…
then look at hand and back of cylinder contacts for chips, roughness,
end shake on cylinder..
hot smokeless loads in BP only messed up many break top, leaver action early on.<><

• Helpful
Reactions: Frosty

· Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I took it to a "long range pocket pistol match" yesterday. The shooter starts with the muzzle touching the table. At the buzzer, you raise the gun, aim, and fire five shots, one shot on each of five 18" square plates at 12 yards. I hit all five plates in 6.62 seconds; I've shot guns much faster, but usually I can see where the gun is pointing. The hardest part of shooting this tiny thing is seeing where the gun is pointing when held at arm's length; the rear notch sight is practically invisible and the front blade equally so. Of course, it was not designed to shoot anything at much more than bad breath distance, let alone at 12 yards, and certainly not when held at full arm's length. So I just looked down the barrel, hoped for the best, and pulled the trigger. It worked out just fine. The double action mechanism worked without failure. The timer operator was just as surprised as I was that I hit all five targets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts