Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of the Canadian supplied Ross Rifles and want to reload for it. From browsing on some of the Canadian Boards, I understand that the earlier Ross Rifles like mine had a tighter than .312 bore , actually closer to .309. I have shot a few .303 British surplus rounds and it was very accurate. Does anyone here load for one and which do you use, .308 or .312 bullets? Any loads that worked well for you?
thanks

·
Gold Bullet member
703 Posts
Ross rifle loads

The two 1905 Roses I have ( one made in 1907, the other in 1910 ) both handle military surplue .303 Ammo very well. Naturally judicious cleaning after firing is a must as it is very corrosive stuff. The loading manulas I have display a wide variety of loadings and it is largely a matter of what works best for your rifle. If you are getting good accuracy with your Ross using factory ammo I would reccomend working with loads and components that approximate the factory ammo. Personally I like using 150 grain spitzer bullets from Hornady in .311 or .312 diameter- both seem to give me good accuracy with a variety of powders although I favor 4895 and 3031, both are IMR powders. I am sure that others will tell you to slug your rifle's bore to be accurately certain of what bullet to use. Personally I shoot moderate loads in mine at 100 yard range and am quite satisfied with the accuracy I get. The 1905 Rosses are pleasant weapons to shoot and I like the smoothness of that straight pull configuration over the later 1910 ( I have just one which shoots very well ). Good luck, Joe

1 - 2 of 2 Posts